Mastering - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mastering

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by R01 View Post
    Alright that sounds good. If you're still stuck PM me, 'cause it's a little hard for us to help you without "hearing" what you're doing.
    Ok I finally figured it out. I basically had a spike that was causing the rest of the mix to be a lot lower when compressed during the mix down. I fixed that, did a little EQing on the master and lightly compressed it and voila. The reference track helped a lot, thanks a lot R01, you saved me quite the headache!
    Mix Setup: Traktor Kontrol S4 // Midi Fighter Spectra // Retina Mabook pro 13" // Traktor Pro 2.6 // Crane Stand Plus // Beats By Dre Studio + Solo HD
    Production Setup: Ableton Live 9 // JBL LSR 305 Monitors // Korg Microkey 25 // Maschine Mikro // Massive // Kontact // FM8 // Zebra 2 // Sylenth1
    Nostalgia Setup: 2 Stanton STR8-80s // Vestax PMC-06pro (Signed by Qbert himself)

Quote Originally Posted by lemeiux1 View Post
    Ok I finally figured it out. I basically had a spike that was causing the rest of the mix to be a lot lower when compressed during the mix down. I fixed that, did a little EQing on the master and lightly compressed it and voila. The reference track helped a lot, thanks a lot R01, you saved me quite the headache!
    Cool.
    Just a point from previous threads, I am not sure you really need to be pushing maximum loudness all the time. As long as the whole album matches in terms of loudness and sheen and it sounds like one final product. The making things louder has only really happened in the last 20 years. Besides we do not have 200K's worth of studio equipment or 20 years mastering experience, so trying to replicate Abbey Roads production values is always going to be difficult.

The process I follow is eq and pan when making the track and get everything to sit correctly - this will include compressors and the like on each element. Export at 24/ 96 for mastering. Analyse for clashing frequencies - go and rectify these in the sequencer. EQ, Multiband compressor - do not over do the compressor or it will all sound flat as a pancake, limiter to pump it up a bit, maybe enhance the stereo spread, normalise, bounce back to 44.1, play on as many systems as possible - go back and go through the whole process again until it sounds perfect on all systems.

It's all a learning process, enjoy it.

One of the most useful compression how to's was reading the ableton manual on the compressors. It goes without saying, RTFM, but I said it because thats what I had to do, read the f*****ng manual.
    http://soundcloud.com/razzlesnaz
    http://www.mixcloud.com/Razzlesnaz/
    http://mixlr.com/razzlesnaz/
    Ableton Suite 8.3/Reason 5/ Sub Boom Bass /Massive/Razor/DCAM Synth Squad/ Akai MPD26/ Novation LaunchPad/Traktor 2.5/Kontrol S2/Kontrol S4/ Kontrol F1/Radium Keyboard/Focusrite Saffire 6/UC-33e

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123