Nee advice..cant move ahead with my songs..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Nee advice..cant move ahead with my songs..

Hey guys,

i have been producing music since the past 9 months and have only managed to produce 12 track up till now and obv neither have i reached commercial quality.

The thing is im currently stuck and i dont know what to do. Im working on ableton live 9. I feel that everything i make on operator is just sounding so boring or static. i majority work on operator or massive. neither can i think of anything different to do while producing. like i have a standard process..filter some pads in, put chords and a melody on top of that. While i obv like that on commercial releases mine sound very boring : /

i wana try out different stuff and different genres for e.g.. dubstep but dont know how to! all i know is how to make those wobbles and talking basses but i dont exactly know where in what arrangement to apply them. I tried making a song on the lines of a movie background score. it was very average.

Can someone whose probably gone through the same thing gimme some good advice. Thanks

Probably every producer here has been there.

Try working with loops. Not just placing them on the timeline. But twist them up, warp them, eq them, filter them, etc. You will learn a lot about sound design and arrangement faster then trying to make every sound from scratch. Eventually you start using more and more of your own sounds.

Don't feel bad about using loops. Watch a lot of the "making of" videos by big name producers like Avicii and they are all using presets and loops combined with their own sound design.

Google + Youtube is your friend. Just immerse yourself in it, that's all I can say. It's a learning curve, and there's only so much we can tell you on here. There's no "magic bullet" that's going to do this for you. Just have to keep on trucking until you have that "aha!" moment. It's all part of the learning process.

This came up on the Ableton forums years ago.

The general concensus then was - have a large glass of water and a wank.

Problem solved.

Seriously thoughh, check out some Kissy Sell Out vids on youtube. He has some excellent tips for making great sounds!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

That's just the way it goes my friend. Lots of trial and error in this art form.

Just keep having fun during the process of writing music, don't worry about how your stuff sounds compared to other people yet. It took those pros you're comparing your tracks to a lot longer than 9 months to get their song sounding that good, practice, practice, practice!

Quote Originally Posted by sagar4848 View Post
    commercial quality.
    I'm not sure what you mean by them two words. In my eyes, the definition of commercial means trade or business.

So you're trying to sell your tracks? I think just about every producer thinks their first tracks are going to be hits (I certainly did/do ). It doesn't work like that unless you know some one that's heavily involved in the music industry, or you are rich, or you are extremely lucky.

Think of every track you make as a learning curve.

If you have used some of Adobe's software such as Photoshop or After Effects then you'll be familiar with the preset 'curves'. Might sound a bit stupid but basically, you start at the bottom, and then you work your way up until your image (song) looks (sounds) better and better. And then you progress, and then if your track is really good... Then there you go, there's your hit.

NOTE: This may take fucking years.

Please don't hate I just want to put a different view point on things . I am a fairly new producer myself, I haven't done as many tracks as you but I've been producing for about 2 or 3 years. And I'm still at this level.

What I've noticed about peoples songs that sound more exciting and not boring is they actually put a lot of shit in for example effects, loops, samples etc. And then a really good job on the mixing/mastering.

As I'm sure others have said on this post, spend time googling and youtubing and foruming loads of shit, any thing to do to help. Also take breaks often, go have a coffee, go for a smoke etc. Don't let it get to you! You have to show the music who's boss! I know it's frustrating but you've got to take control and have fun at the same time!

Sorry for the essay.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Have a large glass of water and a wank. Problem solved.

Tech Wizard

I'm in the same boat as the OP. This was a good read. Thanks everyone.
    Native Instruments Kontrol S4, Z1, X1 and F1 || Akai MPC1000 and APC40 || Ableton Push || Novation Launchkey Mini and Launchpad Mini || M-Audio Axiom 25 MKII || NI Maschine MKII || Midi Fighter 3D || MicroKorg

Tech Mentor

This indeed was a good read! This stuff motivates you to keep going. Thanks everyone!

and @Patch - Hahahah!

Tech Wizard

I think the best advice i could give you would be to explore sounds... i think the limited use of operator and massive
    {while they are fine synthesizers} i think you need to hear new sounds and like one person said do not be afraid to use presets.... if i were you i think the thing holding people back sometime is having a grasp on arrangement,,, i know when i get into a rut its actually because i am spending too much time on one section or in fact,,,on production..sometimes spending so much time on a track we lose sight of the big picture, damage our ears, and annoy ourselves,,,try to go a little time not prodcuing between sessions so that you cant remember the melody...work with better samples...make your own...etc ...goodluck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast