Midi Map instrument swap on ableton
    Tech Mentor

Default Midi Map instrument swap on ableton

Hey!

I'm trying to change my instrument preset on the fly via MIDI. I'm not talking about VSTs, but about this (red circle)
    hotchange.JPG

Now I've seen tons of videos about changing patches/VSTs/presets via prg change but none about the hot swap button (neither about mapping "navigate browser" with ableton)

I'd prefer not using bomes

How can I do?

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

No native commands for that but you can get away to some degree by using the Chain option in Live Racks and then map a knob or set of buttons to cycle between different presets you assigned to the rack.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    No native commands for that but you can get away to some degree by using the Chain option in Live Racks and then map a knob or set of buttons to cycle between different presets you assigned to the rack.

hey padi thanks, I know about the chain selector, I just cannot use it on this track as I'm using a m4l device that need to be followed by the instrument... If I wanna use chain selector I have to set myself all the macros per instrument..

What about navigating browser midi mapping is there an easy way?

There are key shortcuts for browsing.

Then, you could use Bomes Midi Translator to convert midi to keystrokes...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Student

You can use the swap command with ClyphX. You'll be able to navigate in your device preset folder or even map buttons to specific preset names.
    If you don't know this free custom mapping program I recommend to download it on nativeKontrol website, it can answer a lot of similar needs. It's very well explained and supported.
    Dub It Yourself

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    There are key shortcuts for browsing.

Then, you could use Bomes Midi Translator to convert midi to keystrokes...
    Good to hear ! thanks for your help padi

Quote Originally Posted by youbi View Post
    You can use the swap command with ClyphX. You'll be able to navigate in your device preset folder or even map buttons to specific preset names.
    If you don't know this free custom mapping program I recommend to download it on nativeKontrol website, it can answer a lot of similar needs. It's very well explained and supported.
    thanks for the input, I'll definately dig that

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by youbi View Post
    man thanks so much this thing is amazing a good alternative for mapping a bit like the controller manager in traktor. Definately gives a lot more control over ableton

sick shit
    Last edited by trabz; 05-19-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Tech Student

Welcome! This is the best finding I did this year when looking for an easy and performing way to build custom mapping for Ableton. Stray, the founder of this amazing tool is very responsive on his forum if you have specific question.
    Dub It Yourself