Anyway of modifying the Audio 10?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Anyway of modifying the Audio 10?

I've been using TSP2 for the past few months and it's great (I escaped the planet of SSL) but one thing that really annoys me is the need for a power supply when using the Audio 10 soundcard! Is there no way to modify this?? I know the Macbook Pro 2011 models have higher power output usb ports..perhaps some sort of hardware hack could allow the port to power it or piggy back off the thunderbolt/firewire ?

I've also looked at getting an Audio 8 off ebay but i'm concerned that no new updates will be released for it so newer versions of traktor down the line may not work as well?? Audio 6 is another option, I use three decks so I'm assuming I could use the main ins and outs for the third deck?? (please correct me if I am wrong) anyone else have any other suggestions??

there's no way around, the external psu is 9 V, 1200 mA rated... USB port provide 5 volts,. 500 mA each... so at least you would need 3 of them + raising their voltage with a DC-DC converter... and you don't want it...

Keep your laptop running cool... don't suck power from it... in the long run it may save your butt and bucks...

Audio 8 driver work well, I get your point but I don't see why Traktor would stop working in future version.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Tech Convert

sigh, yeh I was hoping as the 2011 macbook pros have higher outputs on their USB ports? They are able to output 2.1A apparently?
    http://9to5mac.com/2011/03/25/new-ma...eir-usb-ports/

But yeh does seem risky and not the best idea, perhaps i'll carry on looking for an audio 8 or 6 for now.

I never understood why the couldn't engineer it be able to work on bus power. The rane SL4 has just as many ins/outs and nearly the same specs and can work on usb power or external power. I mean how did they think this was possibly a good idea and DJs would want to have to plug another thing into an outlet in a dj booth?

I was debating between an Audio 6 and Audio 8 a couple months ago since I wasn't willing to use external power and went with a used audio 8- then one of the phono preamps died so I have to hook up an external preamp which is a really ghetto setup and I wish I just got the Audio 6.

The audio 6 gives you control over 3-4 decks. If you use 2 track decks and 2 sample decks you can route both sample decks to one output and a third channel on the mixer, and realistically you would rarely run into all 4 channels of a club mixer anyway so the A6 is a good choice.

The audio 8 is still a good card but the jack layout is a little odd and kind of confusing in the dark if you don't use multicores since they are all different colors instead of just normal red and white. I really wish they just updated the Audio 8 instead of ruining the A10 with the power requirement.

This is what good soundcard design looks like- 10 ins on one side and 10 outs on the other, no power, 2 usb ports

Tech Convert

Exactly, I wouldn't mind sacrificing some of the LEDs on the box or the main input/output and 'only' have the 4 ins and outs, the Audio 10 is great but yeh the power supply is a pain, I was thinking why couldn't they piggy back off the firewire/other outputs that could probably help with the power requirements?? Ah well. Audio 6 would be a good option but yeh I wouldn't be able to record my mixes without an external recorder..annoying!

easy answer... headphone output... AND direct mode when no computer is attached to.

Power bar... do not take that much room... leave your adapter connected on and that's it.
    Last edited by Steve Zorilow; 01-15-2012 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyellowing View Post
    Exactly, I wouldn't mind sacrificing some of the LEDs on the box or the main input/output and 'only' have the 4 ins and outs, the Audio 10 is great but yeh the power supply is a pain, I was thinking why couldn't they piggy back off the firewire/other outputs that could probably help with the power requirements?? Ah well. Audio 6 would be a good option but yeh I wouldn't be able to record my mixes without an external recorder..annoying!
    Oh you use 3 physical timecode decks? Are they CDJs or vinyl? I think there are only two phono preamps on the A6.

In your case I would just get an audio 8, it's still a good card.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    This is what good soundcard design looks like- 10 ins on one side and 10 outs on the other, no power, 2 usb ports
    This so much, the design of the A10 is retarded, with the ins and out on the same side of the soundcard (not to mention the "extra" ins and out on the opposite side), it's like they designed it to make as much of a cable mess as possible.
    i´ll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

OR allow to plug various extra gear in a snap...

Quote Originally Posted by DJKeyWee View Post
    I don't see why Traktor would stop working [with the audio 8] in future version.
    Because they've already done it.

Final Scratch 2 was a Stanton-branded product, but NI was all over it. They dropped that like a prom dress when they decided to start taking themselves seriously and stop blowing the JV team. I thought I remembered another sound card that NI used for vinyl control during the Traktor 3 days, but I could be wrong. That was during a time when I swore off both Stanton and NI.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post

Agreed. Almost. I'm still pissed off that they dropped the direct outputs. I know, I know. 30 RCA jacks on a card would be difficult to fit. It'd be a pain in the ass. But while you were spinning, you could switch back to real vinyl with a switch on the mixer instead of having to run it through software.

I'd be willing to buy a proprietary snake for that functionality. Or use a d-sub connector and make the cable reparable by any computer geek with a soldering iron. That'd be really well thought out. Unfortunately, it'd make less sense to morons, so it wouldn't sell as well.

It's still better than the Audio 10 in every way that matters, but the SL-1 is a better 2-deck card than it is a 4-deck card.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    This so much, the design of the A10 is retarded, with the ins and out on the same side of the soundcard (not to mention the "extra" ins and out on the opposite side), it's like they designed it to make as much of a cable mess as possible.
    They were following Stanton's design for the Scratchamp, only less stupidly oversized.

Quote Originally Posted by DJKeyWee View Post
    OR allow to plug various extra gear in a snap...
    The only reason that would matter would be if it were installed somewhere you couldn't see the back…and that never happens. All it does is clutter up the design.
    Last edited by mostapha; 01-16-2012 at 04:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast