what's the problem with beatmixing?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default what's the problem with beatmixing?

hey, i'm a digital dj .. and i know if I want to start playing in clubs the chances are very high I have to play on CDJ's so my biggest worry is beatmatching .. but what I dont fully understand is the problem of beatmatching.. beacuse isn't it true you can see the BPM of the tracks playing on the CDJ's so the only thing you have to do is get the BPM as close as possible and then just synce them? or am I missing something

Tech Guru

Have you tried beatmatching before?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

In most cases, yes. Especially with dance music where it's really easy for the CDJ to detect the BPM.

Songs/genres with less pronounced beats/rhythms make it harder for the software to detect the BPM, though. And this is where, if the CDJ does get it wrong, it's useful to know how to manually beatmatch.

Tech Convert

only in traktor, thats the problem.. where the BPM is exactly the same.. so the only thing left is get the two songs sync and I dont find that very hard :P so what makes the difference on CD players?

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

In CDJ world of beatmatching you need to train your ears and give less attention to displays.

the bpm is the same? have you tried djing in traktor without using the sync-function? try beatmatching by ear without watching the screen. you´ll soon found out what the fuzz is all about.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Mentor

turn sync off, don't look at the screen, pick 2 songs you don't know the bpm of, erase your cue points, turn off auto-cue and then go and beatmatch and keep them syncd for at least a minute or so. rinse and repeat

What gets really interesting once you are comfortable beatmatching is knowing your tracks enough so that you phrase match properly
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    turn sync off, don't look at the screen, pick 2 songs you don't know the bpm of, erase your cue points, turn off auto-cue and then go and beatmatch and keep them syncd for at least a minute or so. rinse and repeat
    are things like the BPM of a song not shown on a CDJ? or what BPM it's playing?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by geminimech View Post
    What gets really interesting once you are comfortable beatmatching is knowing your tracks enough so that you phrase match properly
    Phrasing should come before beat matching because you need to know when to drop the record.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast