The reason WHY A&H sounds warmer than Pioneer - Page 12
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Just grab the mixers in question, run the same output to all of them. Run the mixers into a daw and compare them using parametric visualizers, spectrum visualizers, and oscilloscopes. Hell you could even route the source audio into the DAW at the same time to use as a baseline. You could then see which mixer reprodced the source audio the most accurately. ;-)
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    Just grab the mixers in question, run the same output to all of them. Run the mixers into a daw and compare them using parametric visualizers, spectrum visualizers, and oscilloscopes. Hell you could even route the source audio into the DAW at the same time to use as a baseline. You could then see which mixer reprodced the source audio the most accurately. ;-)
    Yep. I've also done that with some of the DJ software out there. I need to do it again on them one of these days, as there have been quite a few updates in the last few years since I did that.
    Last edited by Reticuli; 04-07-2017 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reticuli View Post
    Yep. I've also done that with some of the DJ software out there. I need to do it again on them one of these days, as there have been quite a few updates in the last few years since I did that.
    Traktor and it's famous "internal EQ affects the sound even when in external mixing mode" problem? Yes please
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    Traktor and it's famous "internal EQ affects the sound even when in external mixing mode" problem? Yes please
    I remember on Traktor 2 Pro when I was testing most of the DJ software out there that the key lock algorithm wasn't actually turning off completely at the time. Once you triggered it, it mangled the impulse response to hell and then deactivating it wouldn't actually resolve that until the program was rebooted. They fixed that and some other issue I informed them about concerning pitch bending. I was quite impressed with the 16bit VDJ 7's processing. Very clean and precise. There's something to be said with not oversampling, doing lots of interpolation, and then dithering the hell out of it at the end. I know they've moved to 32bit now and their key correction seems wildly improved in 7.4 and 8. Torq 2 was appalling. I don't know what the hell was going on with that DSP coding of theirs. The basic specs it produces weren't too bad, but it couldn't deal with a lot of test waveforms. I think its impulse response was practically non-existent and like inverted or something. Sounds real dark, crunchy, and processed, too. Has an unmistakable signature it gives everything. The old pre-Pro (not sure if that's what it was called) 2 channel version of Traktor had very pleasant sound and good tests.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    "Wooly lows" "bit of grit" are subjective opinions not measurements of anything. Blind testing is required in audio to be able to make claims about relative sound quality. Non blind testing is completely worthless because of human bias. I just dont understand why so many audiophiles dont get this.
    because if they got it they would feel really guilty about spending so much money on cables.

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    because if they got it they would feel really guilty about spending so much money on cables.
    You can never spend too much money on cables. :-p
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Can I say how much I'm enjoying the resurrection of this post? It's quite possibly the most interesting necropost I've ever read. Thank you to all involved.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

I recently hooked up my DJM-900NXS2 to ableton and ran some pink noise through it and observed the isolator work in a RTA graph and made a virtual NXS2 isolator EQ rack. From my expirience the NXS2 is quite a bit warmer than the old NXS. I have heard the analog A&H mixers are still wamer but I have never had the opurtunity to try one out.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Reticuli View Post
    Non-blinded testing is more prone to error and human bias, but is not automatically worthless.
    In audio testing it really is. This has been proven experimentally time and time again. The entire audiophile market of pointless products also proves this.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    You can never spend too much money on cables. :-p
    You really can.

https://consumerist.com/2008/03/03/d...onster-cables/