Just a little FU to NI.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Just a little FU to NI.

I love Maschine. When I was on Traktor, I liked it just fine.

But, seriously, Service Center is the worst Piece of Shit anit-piracy software I've ever seen, and it doesn't even work. There is not a damn thing you make that isn't cracked on [that site we all know about but can't mention], and their installers are way less of a pain in the ass. And the way you distribute installers is a joke.

Thank you for making me, a paying customer, seriously question the point of bothering to install a legal copy of Maschine because I decided to format my drive when I upgraded to Mountain Lion.

Installing Pro Tools, on the other hand, was simple. I just did it, with an installer they give away for free in an easy to find part of their website, plugged in my iLok, and it works. No muss, no fuss. No headaches. No screaming.

Just start building dongles into your hardware. How often to people really use Maschine or Traktor or any of your other crap without any NI hardware plugged in?

It's 2012. Stealing software happens. Deal with it. Ignore it. Whatever. But don't punish legitimate users because you think your shit's worth it.

Every time I start up Service Center or have to install your software, I think about ditching the lot and moving to something else. The next time it happens, I won't be coming back.

And unfortunately for you, your website is so damn slow, I've got plenty of time to think about alternatives before I actually waste the disk space.

</rant>

Amen! I agree 100% and have said the same thing on other sites. Anyone that wants to pirate their software can do so with little effort, so why make things more awkward for the people that do pay?

How is using an iLok better? A lost or stolen or broken iLok is a huge, huge pain in the ass. I also hate the idea that I need a $50 USB accessory for anything, let alone using Pro Tools ($700) on an rMBP ($4k).

I will concede that I don't like that NI will tell you that downloading the installers from their site is more reliable than their proprietary DRM software.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I love Maschine. When I was on Traktor, I liked it just fine.

But, seriously, Service Center is the worst Piece of Shit anit-piracy software I've ever seen, and it doesn't even work. There is not a damn thing you make that isn't cracked on [that site we all know about but can't mention], and their installers are way less of a pain in the ass. And the way you distribute installers is a joke.

Thank you for making me, a paying customer, seriously question the point of bothering to install a legal copy of Maschine because I decided to format my drive when I upgraded to Mountain Lion.

Installing Pro Tools, on the other hand, was simple. I just did it, with an installer they give away for free in an easy to find part of their website, plugged in my iLok, and it works. No muss, no fuss. No headaches. No screaming.

Just start building dongles into your hardware. How often to people really use Maschine or Traktor or any of your other crap without any NI hardware plugged in?

It's 2012. Stealing software happens. Deal with it. Ignore it. Whatever. But don't punish legitimate users because you think your shit's worth it.

Every time I start up Service Center or have to install your software, I think about ditching the lot and moving to something else. The next time it happens, I won't be coming back.

And unfortunately for you, your website is so damn slow, I've got plenty of time to think about alternatives before I actually waste the disk space.

</rant>
    Not only is downloading a pain, but updating to traktor 2.6 took me 7 days and 3 emails with Native Instruments! I, a PAYING customer, did not have the update availible in service center, had to delete all of my Native Instruments software off of my computer (Including Maschine) and re download ALL of the files from the slow slow site (as you mentioned) in order to get it to work out.
    Macbook 13" 4 gb ram, traktor pro 2.6, kontrol x1, Kontrol z2, kontrol f1, midi fighter spectra, midi fighter 3d,
    Text, let's talk about edm or mixing! 831-801-1774

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    How is using an iLok better? A lost or stolen or broken iLok is a huge, huge pain in the ass. I also hate the idea that I need a $50 USB accessory for anything, let alone using Pro Tools ($700) on an rMBP ($4k).
    The iLok comes with Pro Tools if you buy it in a box. I bought it separate because it was the same price and I hate boxes.

Also, iLok's customer service is just plain faster. Transferring a license to a new iLok does take buying a new iLok, but it's also pretty painless compared to transferring NI licenses. And if it's actually your bread & butter (like…not a hobby), they offer zero down time (ZDT), which gives you temporarly licenses at the drop of a hat. Based on my experience with Avid customer service, I wouldn't expect it to take more than the 14 days iLok gives you to get a new license key.

The cost of ZDT plus having another one around is easily worth the cost if it's actually how you make your money.

Franky, if I were a working/touring DJ who used software as the core of my rig, I'd much rather keep my iLok on my keys or attached to my passport wallet and have the option of just buying a new laptop a few hours before a show, restoring my music and configs from an online backup, and not worrying about whether or not NI's customer support is awake and in the mood to be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dubyou View Post
    Not only is downloading a pain, but updating to traktor 2.6 took me 7 days and 3 emails with Native Instruments! I, a PAYING customer, did not have the update availible in service center, had to delete all of my Native Instruments software off of my computer (Including Maschine) and re download ALL of the files from the slow slow site (as you mentioned) in order to get it to work out.
    Amen. When I sold my Traktor license, it was so much of a headache, I almost told the guy to use a crack until I got NI to take their heads out of their asses. It took like a week.

The iLok comes with Pro Tools if you buy it in a box. I bought it separate because it was the same price and I hate boxes.

Also, iLok's customer service is just plain faster. Transferring a license to a new iLok does take buying a new iLok, but it's also pretty painless compared to transferring NI licenses. And if it's actually your bread & butter (like…not a hobby), they offer zero down time (ZDT), which gives you temporarly licenses at the drop of a hat. Based on my experience with Avid customer service, I wouldn't expect it to take more than the 14 days iLok gives you to get a new license key.

The cost of ZDT plus having another one around is easily worth the cost if it's actually how you make your money.
    I myself have ZDT, but it is very expensive given that that iLoks, etc, don't exist for any good reason. The fact that it costs just to speak to an Avid customer service person is abhorrent. Transferring an NI license is free.

Franky, if I were a working/touring DJ who used software as the core of my rig, I'd much rather keep my iLok on my keys or attached to my passport wallet and have the option of just buying a new laptop a few hours before a show, restoring my music and configs from an online backup, and not worrying about whether or not NI's customer support is awake and in the mood to be helpful.
    I think that the bottom line anyone who is relying on software needs to have multiple computers. This is what I do.

There are solutions that are better and worse- Ableton AG has done a very smart thing with their free, 30-day, full-version trials. If someone were to find their computer (and their other computer, and their other-other-computer) failing they could buy or borrow a computer with an internet connection and be held over for a month. They could also be Adobe (the horror - the horror).

NI Service Center sucks, but so does iLok- seriously. That's one way to guarantee I will never buy a piece of software. The only reason I bought any Waves stuff was because they finally ditched iLok. iLok especially sucks for a gigging DJ or producer- most laptops only have 2-3 USB ports- and if you are on a mac most likely 2, do you really want to use a usb hub just to plug in an iLok with a soundcard and controller? Screw that.

And like it or not Service Center does work pretty decently to stop piracy- yeah there are lots of cracked NI software releases out there but if you have ever tried to actually use any they are all crap and most will cause fatal errors and crash eventually or are severely gimped from the start and won't give you a complete installation.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 11-21-2012 at 12:54 PM.

That's why I suggested NI build dongles into their hardware. Yes, there are people using a lot of 3rd party controllers……but how many are using all of their USB ports (and not a hub) without some piece of NI hardware?

The way Serato does it is far more sane. Something like an iLok or an Ignition Key makes a great alternative if you don't use NI hardware. But even then, the worst case scenario is someone who wants to use multiple 3rd party controllers……like one of the reloop things + some number of those little A&H K2s.

But, still, Serato just gives out what I presume are private keys to 3rd party controller makers for Itch and DJ. Yeah, it's cool that you can use Traktor without a controller or an audio interface………but it's not necessary.
    Last edited by mostapha; 11-21-2012 at 03:01 PM.

That's why I suggested NI build dongles into their hardware. Yes, there are people using a lot of 3rd party controllers……but how many are using all of their USB ports (and not a hub) without some piece of NI hardware?

The way Serato does it is far more sane. Something like an iLok or an Ignition Key makes a great alternative if you don't use NI hardware. But even then, the worst case scenario is someone who wants to use multiple 3rd party controllers……like one of the reloop things + some number of those little A&H K2s.
    true. serato provides an installer for the software for free but unless you have a rane interface you can't do jack shit with it. also saves the hassle with de-registering your stuff if you're trying to sell it.

Tech Guru

I'm all for the hardware lock.

Maschine hardware needs to be connected for maschine software to run.

Audio 6/8/10 or TS certified mixer for traktor scratch to run.

Thats it. Fucking simple. I deplore having to contact some gormless fucking NI goon and wait for a week for him to get his hand off his dick to transfer the serial number that I OWN!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast