Daisy Chaining

Thread: Daisy Chaining

Tech Student

Default Daisy Chaining

Hey peeps, I need some help. I want to make a daisy chain but don't really know how. I have NI Maschine, Roland SH-201, Akai APC, Pre sonus Audio Box 2 in 2 out Interface. I'd like to use these together in a chain so i can utilize them to their full potential to get a real analog sound. I was previously using the SH-201 as a midi controller for Ableton, but wasn't getting that warm analog sound that I am after. Can anybody tell me how to do this, I've tried but failed as none of the machines have midi thru, and I am unsure and get confused about midi I/O and the chain signal. Thanks in advance, nice one

Tech Mentor

Wut??

First, you can't get "real" analog sound using digital gear. Not even by putting several digital devices in a chain.

So let's see - what do you have (hardware-wise):

Roland SH-201: a virtual-analog synthesizer. Using this just as a midi controller makes as much sense as using an iMac as a coffee table, btw.
    Akai APC: a midi controller
    Maschine: a midi controller
    Presonus Audio Box: a soundcard/audio interface

The ONLY one of these that is involved in sound creation/design/processing is the Roland SH-201. Thus the only reasonable "chain" goes from the audio out of the SH-201 into the inputs of the Audio Box. Neither Maschine nor the APC do any kind of audio processing in the hardware, so it makes absolutely no sense to include those two in the chain...

If you want to get a more analog sound you can then further process the signal inside your computer, but to get true analog sound there's only two possibilities: using an anlog synth or using samples of an anlog synth.

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post
    Roland SH-201: a virtual-analog synthesizer. Using this just as a midi controller makes as much sense as using an iMac as a coffee table, btw.
    This made me laughing hard! You made my day!

@lambot:
    Btw: Midi controllers are nothing more than a remote control. Neither audio data is received by the controller nor it does send anything. So there is no analogue audio stream. Therefore there's absolutely no possibility on earth to get a real analogue sound with this. Compare this with the remote control of your TV. It does only tell your TV what to do (switch to next channel, adjust volume and so on) but does not give you something to watch or listen to itself (as it does not receive or play any video or audio data).

What you should definitely do is using your Roland SH-201 as a synthesizer instead of a midi-controller. It also does only calculate every piece of sound on a processor chip similar to your computer so it's still far from giving you the real analogue sound but it's by far better than just completely wasting its potential by making use of it as a midi-controller.

In the end you will have to buy analogue gear (e.g. tube saturation hardware) if you're looking for true analogue sound. If "faking" that analogue sound would also suffice for your purposes you should look out for some kind of saturation plugin that tries to emulate that analogue style of saturation.

But to be honest I don't feel "true analogue sound" will be a real game-changer for your productions. I would highly recommend digging much more into theory instead to understand what your doing. Not trying to be rude but that's my impression.
    Last edited by RockingClub; 10-22-2012 at 08:59 AM.
    The NI trio - Traktor Kontrol S4 - Maschine - Komplete - and some more gear...

Tech Student

Thanks for the input
    Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post
    Wut??

First, you can't get "real" analog sound using digital gear. Not even by putting several digital devices in a chain.

So let's see - what do you have (hardware-wise):

Akai APC: a midi controller
    Maschine: a midi controller
    Presonus Audio Box: a soundcard/audio interface

The ONLY one of these that is involved in sound creation/design/processing is the Roland SH-201. Thus the only reasonable "chain" goes from the audio out of the SH-201 into the inputs of the Audio Box. Neither Maschine nor the APC do any kind of audio processing in the hardware, so it makes absolutely no sense to include those two in the chain...

If you want to get a more analog sound you can then further process the signal inside your computer, but to get true analog sound there's only two possibilities: using an anlog synth or using samples of an anlog synth.

All you need is a keyboard, mouse, a computer, monitors and some good vsts for production and if you can't get a good sounds out of that then you're banjo'd.

Tech Mentor

It wasn't about not getting "good sounds" but about not getting an analog sound. I'd really like to see how you get that with just what you described...

Of course there are some VSTs (like the Arturia V Collection) that get quite close, but in the end you'll always just come near the sound of the originals.

And having a hardware synth definetely doesn't hurt when it comes to sound design...

+1
    The feeling of twisting real knobs is simply incomparable.
    Hate that "twisting one of half a million knobs and buttons on my screen with my mouse"-kind of working...
    But maybe that's just me...
    The NI trio - Traktor Kontrol S4 - Maschine - Komplete - and some more gear...

An analogue sound doesn't make a producer or any person with a bit of money would be a producer.

My point was that its the bare basics you need, not that its the most personally satisfying.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elliot1106 View Post
    if you can't get a good sounds out of that then you're banjo'd.
    I rather like a good banjo sound.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by elliot1106 View Post
    My point was that its the bare basics you need, not that its the most personally satisfying.
    But the point of the OP was how to get an analog sound (knowing that it's not what makes a producer, but nonetheless wanting it) with his setup, not what the bare basics for production are.

So you could say may point was that your point was beside the point of the initial question, and thus not of any help at all...