Rebuilding DJ Library

Default Rebuilding DJ Library

Hey all!!!

This is a big undertaking so I want to do it right. I want to rebuild my iTunes/DJ Library to future proof it as to avoid this in the future. For a long time I have been using .ALAC files and as you may or may not know Traktor no longer supports .ALAC so I am going to switch to 100% 320k MP3's. They are the perfect mix of compatibility, quality and tagability for DJ'ing with. So what my plan is so far is like this.

I copy all the raw music files from iTunes to an external drive sans file structure so it's just the files. I then delete all the tunes from iTunes. Then I convert all the files on the external to 320k MP3's. Then I re-import the music to iTunes and rebuild Traktor from there.

So my questions are:

How do I make Traktor forget those songs were ever there?

Should I let iTunes sort all my music or do it myself in a master folder? I've heard strong arguments for keeping it all in one place and I think I'd like it that way but I'd love some opinions.

Is mixed in key worthwhile? I'm thinking of switching to that for analyzation instead of Traktor.

Thanks in advance!
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorStrangeman View Post
    Hey all!!!

This is a big undertaking so I want to do it right. I want to rebuild my iTunes/DJ Library to future proof it as to avoid this in the future. For a long time I have been using .ALAC files and as you may or may not know Traktor no longer supports .ALAC so I am going to switch to 100% 320k MP3's. They are the perfect mix of compatibility, quality and tagability for DJ'ing with. So what my plan is so far is like this.

If you must do it, you dont need to rebuild your library. You can just convert and ask TRaktor to relocate the files. Everything should work just as before the conversion.

I actually posted a guide on how to do it on the NI forums, search by my name.

I copy all the raw music files from iTunes to an external drive sans file structure so it's just the files. I then delete all the tunes from iTunes. Then I convert all the files on the external to 320k MP3's. Then I re-import the music to iTunes and rebuild Traktor from there.

So my questions are:

How do I make Traktor forget those songs were ever there?

Should I let iTunes sort all my music or do it myself in a master folder? I've heard strong arguments for keeping it all in one place and I think I'd like it that way but I'd love some opinions.

Is mixed in key worthwhile? I'm thinking of switching to that for analyzation instead of Traktor.

Thanks in advance!

Traktor does support ALAC, but only on Mac, and Windows 10. (ALAC support is working fine in W10 TRaktor with 2.8. NI didnt do anything, 10 now has the WMF native codec).

If you have a Mac, you dont need to change. If you are going to use Win 10, you dont need to change.

If you must do it, I made a post on the NI forums detailing how to do it, search by my name. You can just convert, and relocate your files, no need to rebuild your library.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    Traktor does support ALAC, but only on Mac, and Windows 10. (ALAC support is working fine in W10 TRaktor with 2.8. NI didnt do anything, 10 now has the WMF native codec).

If you have a Mac, you dont need to change. If you are going to use Win 10, you dont need to change.

If you must do it, I made a post on the NI forums detailing how to do it, search by my name. You can just convert, and relocate your files, no need to rebuild your library.
    I have mutliple sources that show that ALAC was dropped on OSX anyway. Do you have proof?

Also, where is that post? You post a lot so the search didn't help much, got a link?

Tech Guru

I have mutliple sources that show that ALAC was dropped on OSX anyway. Do you have proof?

Also, where is that post? You post a lot so the search didn't help much, got a link?
    Well your sources are wrong.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en...7.0-or-higher/

Heres a tip, just use google for forum searches instead of the forums own search. It was the first hit in google.

Anyway, heres the gist:

- Get a conversion program. I bought DB poweramp, and its excellent.
    - Make sure your music files in traktor have analysis lock on them if you dont want the grid to be redone after the conversion.
    - Convert the files to FLAC in the same directory as the M4a.
    - Open the FLACs in a tagging program to make sure the tags came across. Ive had no problems yet with DBpoweramp.
    - Delete the M4a files in the folder.
    - Open Traktor, Do a consistency check on your collection.
    - When the box comes up saying that all your files are missing, select Relocate Files. (or similar, I dont have it in front of me)
    - Point Traktor towards the directory with the converted files. It should pick them back up with grids and cues intact, but it may have to redo the stripe.
    - Profit?

Id suggest you do a couple of isolated tests on single folders first before doing your whole collection. And as ususal, make a complete backup before starting this process of your Traktor Collection, your traktor Root Dir, and your actual music files.

Won't worry about doing my library if alac is all good on Mac then. Can I update to 2.9 and safely rollback if need be and if so how?

Tech Guru

Won't worry about doing my library if alac is all good on Mac then. Can I update to 2.9 and safely rollback if need be and if so how?
    https://www.native-instruments.com/e...rlier-version/

Okay cool so got that done. Now I've tried to do the update twice and restarted both times like its asked and I'm still running 2.6.1. Should I direct download from NI?

This is like trying to reorganize your tool box if you were a car guy...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal