What have I missed? Music wise... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    There's a lot of new blood lately in IDM/Glitch Hop, Trip Hop, Breaks and Drum&Bass which has pulled me away from the house/techno genres which dominated my attention last year.

I think 2011 is going to mark a serious return of broken beats popularity which we saw fade away a bit after 2006 in favor of the new house/techno subgenres like electro.
    [rant]
    If Drum & Bass becomes popular music (I'm not talking top 40's popular)... I dunno, I think part of me would die. On the one hand it would mean I could probably get a bunch of gigs easily, I love mixing Drum & Bass... but on the other hand then all the hipsters would get into it and ruin it, then they start thinking they know everything about the genre... first they took some of my style (I love my plaid lumberjack shirts, so warm...) and now they're gonna take my music?! Where do we draw the line with these damn Hipsters!?!?!
    [/rant]

As for the wobbles? Nothing wrong with a wee bit of wobble, but I agree with you, a lot of it is just becoming excessive.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen_Insane View Post
    [rant]
    If Drum & Bass becomes popular music (I'm not talking top 40's popular)... I dunno, I think part of me would die. On the one hand it would mean I could probably get a bunch of gigs easily, I love mixing Drum & Bass... but on the other hand then all the hipsters would get into it and ruin it, then they start thinking they know everything about the genre... first they took some of my style (I love my plaid lumberjack shirts, so warm...) and now they're gonna take my music?! Where do we draw the line with these damn Hipsters!?!?!
    [/rant]

dnb was really popular in the dance music scene at one point. minus the hipsters, it attracted the same type of people that dubstep does now.... basically a big sausage party consisting of all the boys that like noisey music they think will scare all the yuppies away.

hipsters are no more ridiculous than candy-kids and junglists from back when dnb was still really in. my opinion is anyone who is 21+ and still attaches themselves to some type of highschool label is some sad shit lol. that whole sticking to one scene and making it your identity is total kids stuff.

Nice one chaps, that's a sigh of relief
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    And... is it me or are Breaks (as in Breakbeat, Plumps, Elite Force etc not real Old school Breakbeat) making a little bit of a return???
    things are looking that way, Lot49 have pumped a fair few releases out lately.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen_Insane View Post
    [rant]
    but on the other hand then all the hipsters would get into it and ruin it, then they start thinking they know everything about the genre... first they took some of my style (I love my plaid lumberjack shirts, so warm...) and now they're gonna take my music?! Where do we draw the line with these damn Hipsters!?!?!
    Ahhh..... how many times I have heard this in my illustrious career. This will ALWAYS be the case with any scene that gains any speck of credibility unfortunately mate. In they pop and suck all of the life out of it until it has been replicated and watered down on every facet of popular culture (Dubstep the new case in point, at least in the UK anyway) and then everyone forgets about it for a few years then there's a massive resurgence and boom, repeat from step one. The cyclical nature of, well, most things I suppose?

I really hope Breakbeat comes back, loved all those lot, Plumps, Meat Katie, Rene Pilgrim, Stantons, Freestylers, DJ Friendly, Ali B, Evil Nine....the list goes on. Obviously some new blood would be good although I have a sneaky suspicion that you may be seeing some wobble with Breakbeat if it resurges?
    MBP, 15.4", Ableton Live 8 Suite, Novation Remote SL, Pioneer XDJ-RX, Traktor, VCI 100SE!

Polka remixes are the new Dubstep.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

evil nine have put some housey stuff out lately, plumps have done a couple of remixes and released a few things this year. think the stantons have done something that sounds like everything else they make. and i'm sure the freestylers are still about somewhere working on another 'clown step' classic

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    evil nine have put some housey stuff out lately, plumps have done a couple of remixes and released a few things this year. think the stantons have done something that sounds like everything else they make. and i'm sure the freestylers are still about somewhere working on another 'clown step' classic
    Yeah I bought the evil nine album with the Zombies all over it, pretty poo to be fair, took it back and got something else, really didn't get on it but the remixes I had heard were ok.

Plumps did that Hightops tunes which was good, haven't heard anything recently though?

Freestylers are mental, always put a smile on the face. They were at a mates party in Exeter after they played a gig down there and they were just up for getting battered, well funny!!!
    MBP, 15.4", Ableton Live 8 Suite, Novation Remote SL, Pioneer XDJ-RX, Traktor, VCI 100SE!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    Polka remixes are the new Dubstep.
    I rather like a good polka tune.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    dnb was really popular in the dance music scene at one point. minus the hipsters, it attracted the same type of people that dubstep does now.... basically a big sausage party consisting of all the boys that like noisey music they think will scare all the yuppies away.

hipsters are no more ridiculous than candy-kids and junglists from back when dnb was still really in. my opinion is anyone who is 21+ and still attaches themselves to some type of highschool label is some sad shit lol. that whole sticking to one scene and making it your identity is total kids stuff.
    Gotta agreed there.

Kinda learnt that a lil late too!

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast