{RANT}So I played my first club/bar last night...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default {RANT}So I played my first club/bar last night...

...and I am NEVER going to do it again. The constant harassment, asking to play LATIN MUSIC over and over and over. Damn bachelorrette party. This particular club is in downtown Anchorage Alaska and there were 4 black people there that kept asking for hip hop. So i played some hip hop and EVERYONE but them left the dance floor. After my set i go over to a Dubstep show that my 2 partners were playing at it was bliss....fuck the club man.....fuck...the...club

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ssjaken View Post
    ...and I am NEVER going to do it again. The constant harassment, asking to play LATIN MUSIC over and over and over. Damn bachelorrette party. This particular club is in downtown Anchorage Alaska and there were 4 black people there that kept asking for hip hop. So i played some hip hop and EVERYONE but them left the dance floor. After my set i go over to a Dubstep show that my 2 partners were playing at it was bliss....fuck the club man.....fuck...the...club
    NO, fuck THAT club

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by ssjaken View Post
    Now I'm no expert (this is my first post), but if a few people were bugging me to play a song I knew would empty the dance floor, I wouldn't play it.

That said, that really really sucks. Look on the bright side, at least it's club experience .

Quote Originally Posted by dylooooon View Post
    NO, fuck THAT club
    ^^^^^
    What he said.

Been there, 10X over. Some clubs are just lame.
    --------------------------------------------------
    2023 14" MacBook Pro M2 Max 32 GB (OS Ventura 13.5.1), Rekordbox, Technics SL-1210GRs,
    DJM-A9, DDJ-XP2, Sennheiser Acoustick.

I agree with upas at least its experience. dont let it put you of doing it again though. Maybe try and find somewhere which is aimed at your genre of music.

You learn more from the bad gigs than you do the good ones...
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

....fuck the club man.....fuck...the...club
    pfffffffff, nope, take it on the chin like a man, you haven't done it properly, you haven't PR experience to deal with such people and situations... you're not ready yet... its more than just pushing your favourite records even if people think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    You learn more from the bad gigs than you do the good ones...
    THIS!
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

You played the wrong place on the wrong night
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Nothing wrong with requests - if that's the type of place it is. Take some of the stuff that was requested last time, and be better prepared the next time.

The above is only applicable if it's a paying gig. If they're not giveing you cold hard cash, f*ck 'em. Play whatever you want!

DJ's should be like Graffiti writers. Have aliases. (Graff writers go out and bomb illegally under one alias, and do legal pieces under another name - keeps the filth off their tails!)).

Play your paid gig's as your alias ("DJ Crowd Pleasa"), play your "proper" club night/party gigs as your "credible" alter ego ("Your name here")...

Buffalo thats a really good way of putting things. I used to do a radio show which was all pumping house and chart am not really into pumping house and chart music. But did basically what you just said. A different name for different ocassions. However if you dont like playing the music your spinning then it becomes hard and frustrating no matter what the moneys like.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast