Creative Commons License for TouchOSC layouts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Creative Commons License for TouchOSC layouts

Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice?

I've been making Traktor TSIs and templates / layouts for the TouchOSC app on iPad and iPhone for a while now. I give them away for free on my website: http://digitaldjtools.net

I've recently discovered that someone is claiming one of them as his own work and attempting to sell it. He's done the same with the work of another template designer (ipad-dj.net) too.

A friend of mine has suggested having a Creative Commons License for my templates. This way, I can still give them away, but be credited for the original work.

What I want to know is would a Creative Commons extend to this? i.e., effectively copyrighting something I've made which is essentially a 'skin' for someone else's work?

Anyone had any experience with this?

Tech Guru

not sure dude but a lot of people on here use your website including me, and find it great help... dont use the ipad too much to play live untill a cable is decent for it but its fun to play with, you should link the site whos selling it on here though someone might be able to do something like tracking it back to its provider and getting it taken off the web... if their selling it has to be a legit registerd company, meaning paying tax etc
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by slpower01 View Post
    not sure dude but a lot of people on here use your website including me, and find it great help... dont use the ipad too much to play live untill a cable is decent for it but its fun to play with, you should link the site whos selling it on here though someone might be able to do something like tracking it back to its provider and getting it taken off the web... if their selling it has to be a legit registerd company, meaning paying tax etc
    Thanks slpower

I see your point about placing a link, but I don't want to give him any traffic (or to provide a backlink from another website, as this can help influence Google rankings). You can find the website though if you search for 'ikontroldj'.

There's a YouTube channel too (where, incidentally, he's uploaded one of Ean's videos as his own!)

Good point about the selling / tax thing, although he'd based in Madrid so I'm not sure how things work there. The website was only registered 3 days ago
    but it looks like he's opted out of supplying contact info in the domain registration. I know that in the UK, by law you need to provide your business addesss in the domain registration if you're a commercial website. Not sure how this is in Spain though...

I'm not really after legal recourse though. I just want to protect my work!

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Thanks for the link Yes, I've been here already and was just about to fill it in when I wondered whether the work I've done would actually qualify. This is what I'm curious about.

According to the Creative Commons website, you cannot apply a license to things that are in the 'Public Domain'. Just not sure what this means..

Tech Guru

is there any contact information on the site?? maybe an email saying legal proceedings will be taken if content created by you is not removed from the site
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

is there any contact information on the site?? maybe an email saying legal proceedings will be taken if content created by you is not removed from the site
    Yeah, there's an email address. Although I can threaten it, I don't think I can actually do anything about it legally though (which I imagine he already knows, which is probably why he did it)

Tech Guru

Ill ask my dad, he does a lot of work on the legal front and see what he has to say, for the middle template which is one off your site the link doesnt work to buy it when I tried clicking

Ill ask my dad, he does a lot of work on the legal front and see what he has to say, for the middle template which is one off your site the link doesnt work to buy it when I tried clicking
    Thanks man. Much appreciated!

Yeah, the link to mine seems to be broken (although it was working yesterday). Cheers for pointing that out! Hopefully, he's decided to stop what he's doing.

Tech Guru

noticed theres also a report button on the top... if you go through all the steps and claim copy right infringment it gives you a form to fill out, link them to your site and tell them to check to upload dates like when you put it up and when this person setup their site to upload, obviously after yours was up and ask for it to be removed, they should be able to put a lock on it then so anything that resembles that file cant be uploaded on their site... theres probly ways around this but you cant stop him making money off your creations... its stupid like I got a mapping for an omni control over a year back by djstormeagle... ive edited it a little since but still wouldnt think of selling it, id send it to people gladly and also messeged him to say what ive done and find easier... whats the point if I have to pay for mapping id rather create it myself , I enjoy your site though and keep meaning to try out the new midi fighter like map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast