Best setup for djing?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Best setup for djing?

Hi there!
    I bet there is a topic about this but I couldn't find... Anyway...

I'm a former DJ. Worked with and loved vinyl and cd. After a big break, I'm finding myself with that little feeling that says: "do it, you know you want and love", so i'm deciding to get back to DJing. This time I think I'll go with a Digital DJ setup, tired of carrying cases and stuff... I think the best way to go (at least for me) is with a Digital DJ setup. I don't have much time or money to invest, I'll keep this as something that I love to do and not as an hobbie.
    I'm not much into effects. I'm kind of into House/Deep House/Lounge and using some Dj Tools like vocals.

So keeping this in mind... The setup!
    Software: Thinking on using Traktor
    Controller: I've seen Akai LPD8, got interested! Thinking on using as the main controller for the Traktor. I can even use it for other software!
    Audio interface: NI Audio 2 DJ? I will only use two channels mixed on the Mixer. I will have two mixers.
    PC/MAC: The big doubt. I used Windows for a long time but decided to migrate to Mac, since then... It's my precious. Anyhow, I have a new Macbook Pro i7 but as it is my work/personal/day-to-day/everything computer, I don't want to use it as part of my dj rig. If I want to produce music I can do on the Macbook Pro that I have but for djing... I don't think so. So, the doubt is... A computer only to djing! Really only! Nothing else! Not even internet! Eheheh. What should I buy? I don't see problem with used laptops. I want to keep it on a budget but a well looking computer (we're performers right?). I don't want it to be outdated in a week of course...

So... what do you think? What do you have to tell me about all this?

Why will you have two mixers?
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Two guys mixing. We prefer that way but the other mixer will have cdjs and vinyl.

You should check out Zzounds.com they have a great thing called Pay as you Play where you pay a monthly fee for 4 months on gear over $250
    Did this for my apc40 and now it's$75 for 4 months then it's all mine. just a thought. LPD8 looks great but Im all set with my APC40 which offers alot more, and comes with it's own version of Ableton Live. Just if you're interested.
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Well... I don't see the big interest sorry... Apc40 is nice and all but I don't see the point for me. I don't need an apc40 you know? I only need an LPD8 in terms of buttons and such...
    But thanks by the way

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Well, if you're only working on two decks in Traktor, it should be enough. You're eventually going to want more control. Do some research into the controller, though, because I've heard mixed about the small pad controllers.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

The LPD8 will VERY QUICKLY get limited in Traktor. Do you definitely need to have Traktor if just doing it for pleasure in your home? Just asking as it's a more serious/pro software and there are cheaper alternatives. Just asking the questions!

I use a VCI-100 as main controller and LPD8 for the sample banks, which is a more realistic setup. To expect to control Traktor with only a single LPD8 is a tad unrealistic in my opinion. Plus, it'll soon get boring with not many buttons, knobs and faders to use.

My advice would be to get a proper MIDI controller rather than the LPD8. Something like the Hercules RMX is very good controller for the price if you don't want to stretch to a VCI-100 and will work much, much, MUCH better with Traktor/Virtual DJ than expecting to use an LPD8. I think you may even get a copy of Virtual DJ (though not as good as Traktor but an alternative if not too serious about DJing - though I've seen many established clubs using Virtual DJ!) with the RMX too, and if only a hobby it has a built in sound card so that is all you would need and would be your only financial outlay.

Cheapest place I could find it new was here: http://www.yonies.com/pidD.asp?chk=1...ixers&rf=frguk
    Last edited by Bunford; 04-27-2011 at 10:27 AM.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunford View Post
    The LPD8 will VERY QUICKLY get limited in Traktor. Do you definitely need to have Traktor if just doing it for pleasure in your home? Just asking as it's a more serious/pro software and there are cheaper alternatives. Just asking the questions!

I use a VCI-100 as main controller and LPD8 for the sample banks, which is a more realistic setup. To expect to control Traktor with only a single LPD8 is a tad unrealistic in my opinion. Plus, it'll soon get boring with not many buttons, knobs and faders to use.

My advice would be to get a proper MIDI controller rather than the LPD8. Something like the Hercules RMX is very good controller for the price if you don't want to stretch to a VCI-100 and will work much, much, MUCH better with Traktor/Virtual DJ than expecting to use an LPD8. I think you may even get a copy of Virtual DJ (though not as good as Traktor but an alternative if not too serious about DJing - though I've seen many established clubs using Virtual DJ!) with the RMX too, and if only a hobby it has a built in sound card so that is all you would need and would be your only financial outlay.

Cheapest place I could find it new was here: http://www.yonies.com/pidD.asp?chk=1...ixers&rf=frguk
    I agree with this. When I first started reading your post and got to the LPD8 part, that's exactly what I thought.However, this is just my opinion and if you could make it work with just the LPD8 that's awesome!

Another way to go might be pick up a MIDI Fighter or two and use that along with your mixer.

Jus a thought .

Well... I want to do it professionally so... a pro software is a must.

About LPD8 vs Vestax... Well... I thought about that but... Traktor does a pretty good job with the pitchs and stuff... I have no problem on beat matching but since it does a good job why should I worry about that?
    So... Jogs for what? Faders? I prefer to use the club mixer. I just... prefer!
    So... LPD8 has two sets of 8 pads = 16 different button assignments. It has knobs for whatever the hell I want... from selecting music to pitch adjusts or even effects if I want to... Since I want to use the club mixer I kind of think that the Vestax has a lot that I won't use you know?
    On lpd8 I could I don't know use something like Play/pause of course, Beat matching, pitch bend, selecting music, +/- music (to easily navigate), load to A, load to B. This is easily done... Just a bit of programming (I'm kind of good with that)... So... Why the Vestax?

If in the future I want more controls, If i'm not happy with the LPD8 I can always sell it (or try) and try another thing. LPD8 is like 50e so... I won't lose much money.

What about computer?

I'd say an X1, an audio 2 and a mixer is a pretty tidy set up... maybe add another x1 if you're feeling it.

I really think an LPD8 just doesn't cut the mustard, and I have one.

Must say I love my VCI-100 SE (Arcade) as a compact solution. Still just love the mapping and fader fx and juggle modes are perfect for my needs.

I'm not super into fx but it's just a really tactile controller with the DJTT mapping.

You could look into that option?
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast