Which cdjs to get – upgrading- couple of questions

Default Which cdjs to get – upgrading- couple of questions

Hi there, i am looking to upgrade my equipment, currently using a mixtrack pro almost 2 years old has served well but really wanting to get a hold of some cdjs and a mixer, which to get is the problem. NOTE I have researched and got most of the information and narrowed it down slightly however just wanted to hear some opinions.
    Initially i was VERY keen on the idea that you can just plug in a usb to some of the cdjs and play off that for obvious reasons, no piles of cds and bit of an effort putting music on them. I still am keen although I didnt realise that only some cdjs have the usb link function allowing access to one usb from both players making life 10x easier. A clear waveform was also a big part of me but have realised thats not so importnat if i want learn to mix more proffesionaly. the cdj 900 is the cheapest player to support link function im sure and for a second hand pair its at least a grand, without mixer. So basically is there any opinions to support buying the cheaper cdjs, as the idea of having two usbs, with basically the same music on them just so i can play from them on both players ( i know that sounds stupid from me) I know cds arent that bad but they just sound like more hassle compared to usbs. And i know that if i want the better stuff i have to shell out but i just want the best form what money i have – obviously open to suggestions, Thanks!

I owned CDJ-850s and a DJM-700. Organized my music using Rekordbox. In the future I plan on upgrading to CDJ-900 nexus and DJM-800. But it isn't a major priority at the moment.

You seem to be pretty well informed, so it's just down to personal opinion and what you want and need. There's nothing wrong with using 2 USBs. Obviously I'd prefer using 1 and having a second as backup, but it's not a big deal using 2.

CDJ-350s are pretty good and cheap for home use. No waveform though. and the mixer, well again, it all depends what you expect from them. There's a lot of options out there.
    Last edited by robbyluca; 09-04-2014 at 10:52 PM.

Denon SC2900. Price, features (hotcues, link, hybrid midi), build quality. All equal or better then Pioneer for a fraction of price. Learn on small waveforms from the player, then if you want use Engine as a big display on a ipad.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    Denon SC2900. Price, features (hotcues, link, hybrid midi), build quality. All equal or better then Pioneer for a fraction of price. Learn on small waveforms from the player, then if you want use Engine as a big display on a ipad.
    Good advice! But i am slightly more persuaded by 850s just because they are pioneer which i know sounds stupid. Would the sc2900s be ok to use extensively and then just switch to the likes of pioneer if i was to play in a club etc? (850's mean i would be used to it))

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by NeillErskine View Post
    Good advice! But i am slightly more persuaded by 850s just because they are pioneer which i know sounds stupid. Would the sc2900s be ok to use extensively and then just switch to the likes of pioneer if i was to play in a club etc? (850's mean i would be used to it))
    If you can use one, you can use the other. If Rekordbox is an issue, I think you can download it from Pio's site. Just stick stuff through that if you need to do stuff for a club - at least I think it's downloadable from their site. Engine, which comes with the Denon, is just as good but obviously not going to be used with Pio stuff.

The fact is, the SC2900s are fantastic decks, and a hell of a lot cheaper. Yeah, the display is a wee bit crappy but that's common amongst most CD players except the upper tier Pio's and to be honest you're better off in the long run not having to lean too heavily on ANY visual display if you're playing CD decks.

Tech Mentor

between the 850 and 900's; the only thing you get are quantization (which is handy for easy looping), the wolfson processor, slip mode, and the link feature. the only two that really matter, in my opinion, are the slip mode and quantization features.

you just have to ask yourself if the extra cash is worth those two features. i think you should really be concerned with is having a capable mixer that will allow your creativity to be boundless, just incase you want to hook up an external effects processor or a drum machine.

i don't have experience with the denon's, but from what i hear they're fantastic players.

Tech Mentor

Should be noted that the SC2900s also offer slip mode and quant functions. Get them and an A+H xone 92. That's my current set up (when I have the time and space to actually, literally set it up ) Pure fun.