vci-100 diy case
    Tech Wizard

Default vci-100 diy case

Here's a picture of a case I made for the Vci-100 with an Odyssey CD case and some pick and pluck foam. It required a bit of cutting away some metal that held the cd dividers in place, but overall an easy DIY project:

I'm thinking of also putting in the Audio8 on the other side (it just might fit.) Definitely not a slim case, but I figure it's at least a safe way of storing and carrying around the biggest investments aside from my laptop.

Hrm... I've been wanting to do something like this, nice to see someone else has done it. Any problems worth mentioning? Functionally and process wise O.o
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Before I got my VCI I had been using an IDJ2 (I know they're awful - don't have to tell me twice) and as a case I got myself a big old vintage suitcase, nice and hard on the outside, plus it looked ultra cool.
    Got a couple of pieces of foam from an old mattress and shaped them out to hold the console then put them both in pillow cases. Put one bit of foam in the bottom of the suitcase then the IDJ2 then the other piece of foam.. and voila!

If I can find it I'll put a picture up, it was kinda cool!
    VCI 100se l Audio 2 DJ l Traktor Pro l 13" Macbook l

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by tyfurious View Post
    Hrm... I've been wanting to do something like this, nice to see someone else has done it. Any problems worth mentioning? Functionally and process wise O.o
    The problems with this one were small. Odyssey makes some pretty tough cases. Not quite ATA for this one, but tough. The interior used some thick metal brackets for support of the cd partitions (the partitions themselves were thin particle board/mdf.) I didn't know this, and thought they were just glued in. I proceeded to break them out, and just the center broke off, but the part that was being supported by these metal tabs just stayed there. On hindsight, they would have caused a pretty bad gash. The metal was thick enough where it had to be cut, because it couldn't even be bent. FYI: this same bracket is used for support for the handle on the case. It's that sturdy.

Just thinking of how many times I threw out large pieces of foam (this measured about 13x18") just to have to BUY foam makes me cringe. Using pick n pluck foam makes this easier, but if you have access to other foam like TrailerPark mentioned, it might be a good idea and save you some cash.

This is just for transport and storage, as I don't plan on using it in the case. If you notice in the pic, the lid also has convoluted egg crate foam to keep the vci in place without smashing down the buttons and faders. I found this out the hard way on an ata type road case. A Denon mixer that was stored inside was stored upside down. Without this foam, it flipped, landing on its face, and landed on a button, breaking it, and having to spend 100 bucks on a repair. That case was supposed to protect my investment, not damage it.

Tech Wizard

The case is made by Odyssey, and was originally a CD case.

It looks like this:

The inside was completely gutted and I added pick n pluck foam on the bottom to customize the shape, and convoluted egg crate foam for the lid.

What are the prices for the custom cases?