calgarc's shiny new studio...
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default calgarc's Studio build thread.

Upgraded my apartment. and started on my new studio.

my friend gave me a 46" computer monitor, yes they make them that big. heavy bugger. I decided to base my studio around that. in the end the whole setup is going to a laptop through a usb cable i probably bought at the dollar store

I still need to hit up ikea and build more desks. I used a lack table on caster, and put custom height legs hacked from besta legs. the lack table is 19" rack compatible. i put my keyboard stand under the table for security, because even though the table is tested for the weight i do not trust it lol

I am still working on the angle of the screen. I got it up to a functioning angle, as well as made space to fit my keyboard under it.

Last edited by calgarc; 05-13-2015 at 10:01 PM.

I got the angle just right added extra support in the back.

Tech Mentor

why not have it standing vertically?

It looks like it'll be a cozy little spot. Can't wait to see the finished pictures.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Killing time View Post
    why not have it standing vertically?

It looks like it'll be a cozy little spot. Can't wait to see the finished pictures.
    i got it for free and it had no stand... it was originally mounted on a wall. I am in an apartment and do not want to run the risk of mounting a commercial grade 80lb monitor on a wall lol

on a side note, the angled screen also helps keep cables hidden... when the project is done you will see nothing but a single usb cable!

Tech Mentor

If you want an* unsolicited suggestion, you can rig a janky stand together if you're willing to nail something into your table.

Just install some sort of stud on your table top that will help wedge your table against the monitor while it lies against the wall. This could work, assuming that your table is heavy enough to not slide out.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Killing time View Post
    If you want an* unsolicited suggestion, you can rig a janky stand together if you're willing to nail something into your table.

Just install some sort of stud on your table top that will help wedge your table against the monitor while it lies against the wall. This could work, assuming that your table is heavy enough to not slide out.
    i was originally going to do that... i ended up angling it in the end due to the spare parts i had laying around in my toolbox lol. I may go to the store and get what i need to make a stand at some point.

the screen has a 1800:1 ratio so i should be able to view it at any angle without the colors distorting. again commercial grade monitor. depending on my future neck injuries i may have to stand it up lol

the screen works, although there is a crack in the bottom left corner... I do have another 46" screen i could use, possibly repair this. its such a beautiful screen.

I got something going now. I still need to ikea.

the next step Is more desk real estate, and I need to build acoustic panels for the walls.

I have also been toying with the idea of getting a touch screen overlay and turning the monitor into a giant ableton controller.

Don't know about a touch surface.... I have a 22" multi touch view sonic and honestly I find the best use of it has been only psf handling and full screen web browsing.... As far as any production applications I've been less then impressed

Quote Originally Posted by ZxZDeViLZxZ View Post
    Don't know about a touch surface.... I have a 22" multi touch view sonic and honestly I find the best use of it has been only psf handling and full screen web browsing.... As far as any production applications I've been less then impressed
    I guess, but i got the screen for free. If i can mod it for a few bucks, no harm done lol.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast