Traktor s4 for home use; what do I need for club use?

Default Traktor s4 for home use; what do I need for club use?

Hello, I am looking at getting a Traktor s4 for djing at home and small parties - I have just recently sold my CDJ 350s, and was either going to pick up a Traktor X1 and Soundcard to use with a mixer, or picking up a Traktor S4.

My question to you, is:

If I were to get a soundcard and X1 then this would be a portable setup for club use, but if I was to get an S4, this would be too big to bring to the club - SO, as I already have some experience using CDJs, would I only need to bring my laptop to clubs, leaving the S4 for home, and just Traktor and CDJs for clubs?

Or would I need a soundcard to bring to the clubs as well as my laptop?

Thanks, I'm new to using Traktor and digital DJing as a whole!
    "We think too much and feel too little"
    K B R I D G E

Tech Guru

You need a sound card, preferably a timecode compatible one like the Traktor Audio 6.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    You need a sound card, preferably a timecode compatible one like the Traktor Audio 6.
    to connect 4 decks to my laptop?
    K B R I D G E

Tech Guru

Most clubs have 2 CDJs or turntables in the booth so the Audio 6 is enough. If you want 4 timecode decks you'll need the Traktor Audio 10.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Most clubs have 2 CDJs or turntables in the booth so the Audio 6 is enough. If you want 4 timecode decks you'll need the Traktor Audio 10.
    So if I want to mix two decks in the club then the Audio 6 would be adequate

but

If the club has a 4 turntable/CDJ setup then an Audio 10 would be needed?

Sounds great - just the answer I was looking for!
    K B R I D G E

Tech Wizard

If you have to bring your soundcard to the club depends on their setup. There are mixers (like the DJM 900 nexus) that have USB-ports, so you can plug them into your laptop and use the mixer als an audio interface. You can also use the club's CDJs as midi-controllers/in HID mode and therefore wouldn't even have to bring the X1.
    I would however not recommend you to only buy an audio interface and the X1, because without some mapping tricks you won't have much fun playing at home (ignore this if you still have an external mixer).
    If I had to decide, I'd take the S4 for home use (maybe leave it in the car as a backup controller), but take the laptop to run Traktor with the club's CDJs and mixer.