Teaching a DJ course, what're my blindspots.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Teaching a DJ course, what're my blindspots.

So, I got a crazy ass opportunity to teach DJing and very basic music production (think monophonic sampling and sequencing basic drum patterns). After 20 years, my DJ name finally paid off...

Anyway, my issue is that the first like 20 hours (!?) of instruction are supposed to be in a classroom. So... no gear. I do NOT want to just lecture at them for that amount of time.

So, I've broadly come up with these categories:

1. What is a DJ
    2. The history / evolution of DJing
    3. The basics of sound
    4. The VERY basics of music theory, just focusing on rhythm, possibly just stomp/clapping a few basic patterns
    5. DJ cultures
    6. Building your community
    7. Crazy shit that happened to me behind the decks

I didn't include gear, because I really don't want to have an abstract conversation about what a VU meter is.

Once we're in the studio we'll focus on DJ basics, and sampling/sequencing monophonically in Ableton Live. This part will be much more manageable because it'll be hands on.

I'd love to hear an similar experiences or input you can give.

Thnx,
    Martín
    AKA DJ Stay in School

The history/evolution of Deejaying could be a 2 course class (6 months) on its own.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    The history/evolution of Deejaying could be a 2 course class (6 months) on its own.
    Are you going to start with Jimmy Savile, Paradise Garage, Grand Wizard Theodore, or Kool Dj Herc?
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Are you going to start with Jimmy Savile, Paradise Garage, Grand Wizard Theodore, or Kool Dj Herc?
    Should probably touch on the original "disc jockeys", the AM/FM radio disc jockey and movement into club disck jockeys, the rebirth of the DJ with house and rap.

3. Sound theory including: sound routing, ins and outs, VU meters and their meaning, the headphone cue system
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

That's a really good question. I feel like for the sake of completeness, it outta be Jimmy Savile, but you know... Kinda touchy subject now (no pun intended).

I was first thinking of doing it in phases, so... yeah. Jimmy, then disco then hip hop. But I was sort of thinking of introducing hip-hop via Rockit and Grand Mixer D.St (I think that's his name, right?), just because that video is so rad.

Yeah,
    That's a good point. I know some of the students are actually pushing more towards radio DJing, and there's some kinda weird history there, I think.

I'm also going to do a history of media: 78s, 33s, 45s, magnetic tape, 8 track (because it doesn't exist here), CDs, mp3s, other digital formats.

Thanks!
    Martín

Yeah,
    I totally agree. But, since the class is called Sound Production and Recording for DJs, I might get yelled at for going all in on history.

Probably don't mention "Jim'll Fiddle It", eh?

You could mention the history of the discotheque, along with DJs. Studio 54, Northern Soul movement, 80s New Wave, second summer of love, etc. How the role of the DJ changed over the years, along with the expected skill. You could find a couple of movies or movie clips to watch.

I think something that has to be talked about is the role of drugs in creating an atmosphere for DJs to become what they are today. Whether it's booze, coke or ecstasy, it's played a role in giving people motivation to dance. Hell, MDMA is touted as one of the reasons the 80s hooligan movement died out with the UK rave scene.

You could have so much fun with this course!
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    Probably don't mention "Jim'll Fiddle It", eh?

You could mention the history of the discotheque, along with DJs. Studio 54, Northern Soul movement, 80s New Wave, second summer of love, etc. How the role of the DJ changed over the years, along with the expected skill. You could find a couple of movies or movie clips to watch.

I think something that has to be talked about is the role of drugs in creating an atmosphere for DJs to become what they are today. Whether it's booze, coke or ecstasy, it's played a role in giving people motivation to dance. Hell, MDMA is touted as one of the reasons the 80s hooligan movement died out with the UK rave scene.

You could have so much fun with this course!
    Oh man that's a good one! I have to run it by the bossman though, just in case... I also didn't mention that I'm in Spain, so I could do a pretty cool history of Ibiza... although I don't know it super well.

As far as docs I'm thinking:
    Scratch
    That Netflix one on Hip Hop... can't remember the name right now.

But... the change in expected skill over time is a pretty interesting one. I'm going to have to give that a think about how to approach it.

Thanks!
    M

Quote Originally Posted by djstayinschool View Post
    Oh man that's a good one! I have to run it by the bossman though, just in case... I also didn't mention that I'm in Spain, so I could do a pretty cool history of Ibiza... although I don't know it super well.

As far as docs I'm thinking:
    Scratch
    That Netflix one on Hip Hop... can't remember the name right now.

But... the change in expected skill over time is a pretty interesting one. I'm going to have to give that a think about how to approach it.

Thanks!
    M
    It's All Gone Pete Tong
    Eden

That scene in Human Traffic.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast