audiointerfaces - spoilt for choices
    Tech Wizard

Default audiointerfaces - spoilt for choices

as a bitjockey i reached the point where my echo indigo dj isnt enough for me,
    i want to expand, i want to add a little bit of production and a little bit more professionalism.
    i´ve going through all the posts,all the reviews and i must say : i don´t know
    which audio interface should join my machine buddys

as a fan of the echo indigo, i thought about staying pcmcia,or should i go firewire,or does usb2.0 still work fine for me? (forgot to say that i have about 400 bucks to spend on a interface)
    note : my laptop only got that 4 pin firewire port so i would have to carry another power plug with me (thats why i m not quite shure about switching to firewire)
    please people help me i have no clue
    i´ve talked to ten people ,and got ten different opinions,i am helpless

native instruments kontroll 8 dj ,rme hdsp rpm+ rme pcmcia cardbussinterface ?
    or something from m-audio ? or shoud i go the local retailer and test it out,bring it back, test another one,bring it back till i´ve got something what suits my needs?
    what did you do ? or , what do you use ?

You can get a pcmcia firewire 6 pin card - they still require you to carry around a wall wart, but the 4 pin firewire port is a pain in the butt because the cable can easily be knocked out.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    You can get a pcmcia firewire 6 pin card - they still require you to carry around a wall wart, but the 4 pin firewire port is a pain in the butt because the cable can easily be knocked out.
    A pcmcia card doesnt supply enough power for an external souncard, unless u put a powersupply to the pcmcia and then your back where you startet.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaekiface View Post
    A pcmcia card doesnt supply enough power for an external souncard, unless u put a powersupply to the pcmcia and then your back where you startet.
    Your not back where you started, now you have a cable that does not fall out every 5 minutes which is a pain in the butt.

Tech Wizard

cool idea, get myself a pcmcia firewire 6 pin card, would use that for other things too.
    nice one bento

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Your not back where you started, now you have a cable that does not fall out every 5 minutes which is a pain in the butt.
    Ok if that is an issue for you, it is a good idea. Then again... I woluld probably find an easier and much cheeper solution if I have a loose cable. My 4-pin FW in my Lenovo (IBM) laptop is actually very tight and never falls out.

Quote Originally Posted by philll View Post
    note : my laptop only got that 4 pin firewire port so i would have to carry another power plug with me (thats why i m not quite shure about switching to firewire)
    Furthermore he wrote that the extra power supply was the reason for not switching to Firewire.

But well... Fuck it...

Tech Wizard

by the way, nobody should f*ck with power supplys
    and maybe a little bit of duct tape on the laptop to hold the cable gives the whole thing a nice weird trashy look
    firewire is the thing to do, i understand..and if i go a step further its the best thing to do right now, because someday my little laptop baby needs a bigger brother with 6 pin firewire connection

a little bit of solder adding to the 4pin plug size might actually make it fit alot more snug, i still don't trust the 4 pin though so i bought a smartcard->firewire card that will be arriving in the mail any day now.