my first 10 min dubstep (ish) mix - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by kermit View Post
    has anyone got any feedback on the mix itself?
    As I mentioned I would try to do in my first post full of meta-critique, I got a chance to listen to your mix late last night. Here's my feedback on your actual mix.

- I am not especially into the style of tracks that you picked, but I think they fit together well and are appropriately selected in that sense.

- I think at least 3 of the 4 tracks had vocals. If you play too many tracks with full vocals one after the other, it can be reminiscent of the mixing on hip hop radio or on a mix tape for a girl, with one *song* coming right after another *song* instead of tracks being mixed into each other.

- 2 of the 3 transitions were of the format "let the end of the previous track play out and then mix into the very start of the intro of the next track." this adds to the sensation that you are "just playing songs" instead of "dj mixing." If you're going to mix an outro into an intro, focus on the phrasing so that the outro ends right when the intro "drops".

- My number one advice for you based on this mix is *practice your transitions* and *practice using EQ to allow two tracks to overlap clearly*. The art of DJing is very much about how the elements from the two tracks blend as you transition between them, and while you *can* DJ effectively by slam mixing (or mixing very quickly, or mixing from outro to intro) I feel like investing in that particular area of your mixing will pay significant dividends.

Thanks for posting, and keep at it!
    !!! AWESOMER !!!
    Remixes, DJ Mixes, Awesomeness @
    http://soundcloud.com/awesomer
    Chat With Us In (Unofficial) DJTT IRC @
    irc://irc.rizon.net/djtt

Tech Mentor

No it doesn't and no it's not.

Oddly enough, it's takes an hour to do an hour long mix. And it's no harder than doing a 10min mix, you just do it 6 times in a row.

I don't understand why people are afraid to do longer mixes.
    If it's a well planned mix then it will take a long time. The laws of probability state that the longer you mix for the more likely you are to fuck up, meaning it's also hard.

Tech Mentor

I think there's some confusion here about how hard it is to create a mix to a standard the poster themselves is happy with.

Lots of DJs never plan out a mix at all, and they clearly feel comfortable posting mixes which contain "mistakes" which I personally would never post. If they make a "mistake" while recording a mix of any length, they might not even have the DJ ear to *identify* it as a mistake. That's why they're here, asking for our collective advice.

I think what confuses people about all the 10 minute "Fisher Price's My First" mixes is is that if the poster knows it is beginner work, why aren't they comfortable making something longer? 10 minutes of beginner work or 30, it's hard to understand the meaningful difference. I can appreciate that mixing for an hour for a beginner can be hard. But 30 minutes? Beginners play tracks for 4-5 minutes usually.. who can't be arsed to play 5 or 6 tracks?

Given that investing *time* in DJing (or anything) is the key element of being able to learn how to do it, I think 10 minute mixes also send a weird signal about the poster's commitment to his/her craft. Even if this is not a reasonable conclusion, I think many people do in fact make it.

@OP : slightly sorry for this digression occuring in your thread.
    !!! AWESOMER !!!
    Remixes, DJ Mixes, Awesomeness @
    http://soundcloud.com/awesomer
    Chat With Us In (Unofficial) DJTT IRC @
    irc://irc.rizon.net/djtt

Quote Originally Posted by Max Jones View Post
    If it's a well planned mix then it will take a long time. The laws of probability state that the longer you mix for the more likely you are to fuck up, meaning it's also hard.
    by all means...fuck up...fix it next time...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    by all means...fuck up...fix it next time...
    Exactly! 10 min mixer are more like a routine to me, something you've preplanned ahead of time and practiced. That usually never translate well to playing in front of people.

How do you expect to get comfortable playing that way if you can't even do it at home just playing off the cuff and feeling the groove and letting it take you away and running with it

Tech Convert

[QUOTE=Awesomer;341163]As I mentioned I would try to do in my first post full of meta-critique, I got a chance to listen to your mix late last night. Here's my feedback on your actual mix.

- 2 of the 3 transitions were of the format "let the end of the previous track play out and then mix into the very start of the intro of the next track." this adds to the sensation that you are "just playing songs" instead of "dj mixing." If you're going to mix an outro into an intro, focus on the phrasing so that the outro ends right when the intro "drops".

thank you some great advice to work on.the only thing is none of the 4 songs were mixed into the start of a song they were beat matched.but i can see how it may sound that way.

Tech Convert

@max jones thanks for the advice i have just listened to it again and your right tracks 2/3 clash abit.i will work on this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12