Back in the day...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Back in the day...

I know this has prob already been brought up before but do any other old school dj's miss the days when you didn't need a computer or CD to DJ???... DJin has evolved so much that a lot of the skill of mixing has been replaced by programs that automatically mix, beat-match, and DJ for you...

I blew the dust off a crate of mine and Dj'd a nice set without BPM on two turntables NO computer and just thought...DAMN... Dj'in is too complicated these days... you never had to UPGRADE your computer or buy multiple program updates to be a DJ. Going to the record store was something you looked forward to weekly...now, all you have to do is buy a laptop and push buttons... nothing against Digital DJ's like ean who have a unique style but most people are not that creative with their mix...especially if they never spun on vinyl...

idk, just a thought, i'm up for a laptop upgrade and would much rather spend $1000 on records then a computer i'll have to upgrade/replace in a few years... i remember when you had to buy a kaos pad to use effects...damn that was a good minute ago...aw well, times have changed
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--

Quote Originally Posted by DjLiquitATL View Post
    I know this has prob already been brought up before but do any other old school dj's miss the days when you didn't need a computer or CD to DJ???... DJin has evolved so much that a lot of the skill of mixing has been replaced by programs that automatically mix, beat-match, and DJ for you...

I blew the dust off a crate of mine and Dj'd a nice set without BPM on two turntables NO computer and just thought...DAMN... Dj'in is too complicated these days... you never had to UPGRADE your computer or buy multiple program updates to be a DJ. Going to the record store was something you looked forward to weekly...now, all you have to do is buy a laptop and push buttons... nothing against Digital DJ's like ean who have a unique style but most people are not that creative with their mix...especially if they never spun on vinyl...

idk, just a thought, i'm up for a laptop upgrade and would much rather spend $1000 on records then a computer i'll have to upgrade/replace in a few years... i remember when you had to buy a kaos pad to use effects...damn that was a good minute ago...aw well, times have changed

Traktor Djs for me and eqs and uses faders and effects are right times for me?
    Where's this setting, I wanna try it and see
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

100% agree. There have been countless occasions where I just had time for a 20 minute mix and thought, "f^^% it- can't be bothered to boot up"
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

i want to see where this goes.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by smittten View Post
    100% agree. There have been countless occasions where I just had time for a 20 minute mix and thought, "f^^% it- can't be bothered to boot up"
    unless you're like me, I dont do a full shutdown of my laptop, I have it hibernate so when I power it on it boots up in like 10-15 seconds, will be FAR faster when I get a SSD into it.
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

I'm just saying...djing wasn't complicated back in the day u only had to worry about two things, power going out or ur needle possibly skipping but u didn't have to have a laptop, a backup laptop and all the technology to wow a crowd...just needed a good ear for music and to be able to read the crowd

I remember when serato first came out, I worked @GC back in 2005... its only been 6 years and look where we are now...online dmc championships where you can cue up all your scratches and set without skill at all...yes scratching is a skill but so is cueing up a record and scratching without the needle skipping...

The only plus to the dvs systems is not having to carry those heavy ass crates of records to every gig
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--

Quote Originally Posted by DjLiquitATL View Post
    DJin has evolved so much that a lot of the skill of mixing has been replaced by programs that automatically mix, beat-match, and DJ for you...
    that sounds dangerously like the old "sync" or "not to sync" argument yet again... the skills have just changed thats all.

do i miss my old 1200's and intimidation blue mixer with it's pretty blue lights? sure... and would i like to mix that way again one day maybe sometimes? sure also....

but i'd never swap all the potential of my midi controllers and integration of live sets that before i could only do in my old studio for *just* the pair of 1200's and mixer

plugging a midi controller and the audio out from a laptop into an amp to have a mix can't be more hassle than messing round with all the old audio cables anyway...

i'm sure i'll have a pair of decks again one day tho as well as my midi stuff. i've never tried a DVS but i suppose with that you have the hassles of setting up decks combined with laptop/software etc. i'd like to try a DVS but i suspect i'd rather either mix with midi controllers or just use real vinyl on a turntable.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." — Assyrian Stone Tablet, c.2800BCE
    How many times will this discussion arise? Whenever a new technology comes around, a group of people will decry it. It has happened with everything from microwave ovens, to CDJ players, to computers. The OP claims that everything used to be better, how DJing "used to take skill" and how DJs these days "just press the sync button". Arguments we've all heard before, and that, ultimately, have proven to be unfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    i'm sure i'll have a pair of decks again one day tho as well as my midi stuff.
    Same... I often have the urge to mix the old fashioned way but I know I made the switch to digital because it allows me to do more. I don't think I'd ever switch my main setup back from digital, but it would be fun to play with every once in a while.

And, like the OP, of course I have some bitterness about the accessibility of things nowadays, where anyone can get a cracked copy of VDJ and be able to mix without a colossal trainwreck of double-beating within minutes. There's nothing inherently wrong with digital DJing, its just that the lower startup investment (time, money, and effort) brings in a lot more people that don't really care about what they're doing. All in all its a small price to be paid for all the great things that the digital realm has offered.
    Last edited by DigitalDevil; 07-19-2011 at 06:09 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast