Any users of Traktor DJ Performance thoughts on iPad2 vs. iPad w/ Retina display
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any users of Traktor DJ Performance thoughts on iPad2 vs. iPad w/ Retina display

So...I have been on the verge of acquiring an iPad for a while and am almost ready to pull the trigger. With the Traktor DJ app now out, I will definitely be getting it (can't beat the price).

My question is for any owners of the iPad 2 vs. iPad w/ retina display, what are the performance comparisons? iPad 2 is cheaper, but potentially slower and only comes in 16GB, but is only $399...iPad w/ Retina is potentially faster and comes in 16GB ($499) & 32 GB($599). Is there any performance lag, slowdown etc. on the iPad 2? Is it worth the extra $100 to get the newer iPad? is it worth the extra $200 to get the newer iPad with 32 GB? I am not sure that I can do $599...I can do $399 and maybe $499...but that $599 may be out of reach...

But if it is worth it...I may try to make it work.

Oh...btw, my current setup is: DN-X1700 + 2 TTs w/ timecode + 2 CDJs (not timecode) + Kontrol X1 as my at home setup and a DN-MC3000 and Kontrol F1 as my portable setup. The iPad would be mainly used for other stuff, but Traktor DJ will be a nice bonus.

Any thoughts.
    Traktor: Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, DN-MC3000, DN-X1700
    Ableton: Launchpad, nanoKontrol2, LPK-25, BCR2000

Repina is alot better, want it bad. I have the ipad2, do I think its worth to upgrade? no.
    If I bought something new, definately the one with retina screen.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

What I would advise is that the iPad 2 will run the current version of Traktor DJ but there are going to be many improvements to the app that might require a better chip.
    The iPad 4 is a totally different beast to the iPad 2.

Also, Apple has a habit of locking iPads to a certain iOS (iPad 1 is locked to iOS5) so if you want an iPad that is as future proof as possible then the iPad 4 is the only choice.

Traktor DJ runs well on the new iPad Mini if that helps.

I don't know which way I am leaning...my wallet leans one way and the rest of me leans another :-)

Tech Guru

i have it running perfectly on my ipad2, however...i cant see me really using the app for djing live...theres not enough control, too much reliance on sync, too few features...it just seems like a toy version of the real thing, which for the price is probably accurate enough...good for house parties, but no good for serious gigging IMO
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

As Karlos said, the future is a huge question mark. Also, the iPad 2 is WAY different than the iPad 4 in terms of spec. One thing we do know is that the new iPad is due in 6 months, something to consider.
    Last edited by ProfessorStrangeman; 02-25-2013 at 06:20 PM. Reason: I accidentally a word.

Quote Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk View Post
    i have it running perfectly on my ipad2, however...i cant see me really using the app for djing live...theres not enough control, too much reliance on sync, too few features...it just seems like a toy version of the real thing, which for the price is probably accurate enough...good for house parties, but no good for serious gigging IMO
    I'm with you on that. I care more about track prep and "auditioning" mixes, transitions, and FX for new routines...so I don't care too much if it is limited for playing live.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorStrangeman View Post
    As Karlos said, the future is a huge question mark. Also, the iPad 2 is WAY different than the iPad 4 in terms of spec. One thing we do know is that the new iPad is due in 6 months, something to consider.
    I hear that. I may opt for the iPad 4 as it is newer etc...I may not be able to wait the 6 months for the new one. It is a matter of money being available that needs to be used by a certain date or it becomes unavailable...at best I have until June.

Tech Guru

iPad4, if you can, I would suggest. I've got the short lived iPad3 16GB (retina) which runs Traktor DJ very nicely and has sufficient space for the number of tracks I'd want to play around with at any one time - I regularly shift music on/off and keep the main collection over a couple of separate HDDs so it's not a problem for me having 16GB. I would personally go for a smaller iPad4 and have the processing power than a larger capacity iPad2. And especially as Apple seem to be resorting to a business model of old i.e. more regular releases and more product variations - there will be a new version around the corner, therefore at least the iPad4 will be supported with iOS upgrades for a little while yet.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Thanks. That is what I am leaning towards....a 16GB iPad 4 w/ Retina Display...I don't need it to hold my entire library...just a handful of GB for music that I want to prep and practice with.

Tech Guru

Also, quick but related-ish question, how are recordings transferred back across? I'm unable to 'save as' from within iTunes? If it's a single iTunes PC install location and some tie down, I'm not going to be a happy bunny - just want a quick copy across of recordings. Got two radio shows to do tomorrow and Friday!
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast