DDJ SP1 simultaneous 4 deck control (serato)

Default DDJ SP1 simultaneous 4 deck control (serato)

Hi all. Short and sweet; for anyone who owns a pioneer DDJ SP1 AND a 4 deck Controller for SDJ:

When you set your SP1 to control decks 3/4, does it swap the pads/decks on your main controller too? or can you have pads for all 4 decks active with SP1 hooked up?

My situation
    Have NS7ii, about to pick up a pair of CDJ 850s (for HID control), If an SP 1 can get me controls for them. If the SP1 deck toggle buttons toggle the deck on my NS7 too (pun!), then theres no point to this plan, and I should save 1200+ dollars.

What's spooking me is I had a DDJ SR plugged in with the NS7ii (i know, I know, unsupported), and i could only ever control two decks, as the 1/3 and 2/4 buttons toggled both devices. I really don't want the SP1 to pull that too. I asked Serato, but they're taking FOREVER!

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't get your hopes up.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Mentor

I own an DDJ-SR and if I plug it in along with my Mixtrack Pro 2 nothing changes on my Mixtrack if I switch to deck 3 or 4 on the DDJ-SR. It's very simple: buttons send midi messages to the computer and the software translates it into changes in the software. If you change one thing on controller A, nothing changes in the midi messages on controller B. Zilch, nada.

Quote Originally Posted by Scalage View Post
    I own an DDJ-SR and if I plug it in along with my Mixtrack Pro 2 nothing changes on my Mixtrack if I switch to deck 3 or 4 on the DDJ-SR. It's very simple: buttons send midi messages to the computer and the software translates it into changes in the software. If you change one thing on controller A, nothing changes in the midi messages on controller B. Zilch, nada.
    This blows me away. the serato official claim on mixing gear says "multiple units (2 or more primary) are unsupported and sound cards conflict". the 2nd one plugged in goes slave I've done NS7ii/SR, and I get shared 1/3 2/4 deck buttons and tied platters; on V7 and NS7ii or SR I lose 4 deck mode, and eventually the V7 takes over the sound and the other device goes dead (for noise, no lights and controls).

Anyway, I was hoping for a point from someone who owns the specified piece. I'm scared enough that I'm not getting and 850's for the time being, and I'm assuming I'll need 900 nexuses (nexxi?) to get 4 deck slip/sync/nudge. I'd like to buy an SP1 just to know, $400 is a lot for curiosity.

Tech Mentor

I think what happens here is that the DDJ-SR is a Serato DJ controller while the Mixtrack Pro 2 is a Serato DJ Intro controller. I have to plug in the SR before the Mixtrack to make it work. I just did it once for giggles though, I don't see any reason to connect two main controllers at once.

it does change the pad mode for the deck but it didn't change the deck focus

confirmed using sp-1 with a ddj-sx & vci400

change deck mode to slicer on the sp-1 and it will change on your controller as well, but deck focus stayed with what I had on the controller

Quote Originally Posted by Scalage View Post
    I think what happens here is that the DDJ-SR is a Serato DJ controller while the Mixtrack Pro 2 is a Serato DJ Intro controller. I have to plug in the SR before the Mixtrack to make it work. I just did it once for giggles though, I don't see any reason to connect two main controllers at once.
    If you've got 4 channels on one controller, running the pair of them gives you a 'proper' DJ experience with 4 decks/platters. Well, not 'proper,' but certainly 'ultimate'
    EDIT: also, maybe you were using both dual deck controllers, hence no issues as I'm experiencing (deck layers?).

Quote Originally Posted by beisi View Post
    change deck mode to slicer on the sp-1 and it will change on your controller as well, but deck focus stayed with what I had on the controller
    IE; I could set it to roll, and both decks 1/3 will be restricted to that; but I can deck 1 on the main, and deck 3 on the SP1?

I can live with that. A lot hinges on this, because It means I have access to sync/slip on 4 decks if I go with CDJ 850's on the sides (else I NEED nexuses)...
    Last edited by EvolutionaryFault; 10-03-2014 at 10:11 AM.

Tech Mentor

Nope, the Mixtrack is two deck only. You're thinking way too difficult here. Serato isn't that sophisticated, you know

You can basically have one set of pads for every deck, that does work. The problems start when you have the SP1 set to a deck that you already have on the controller.

When I tried it out it sounded cool but in reality was a bit confusing. Say you have slicer on deck d and your controller on b, if you want to press stop for deck d you need to change your controller to deck d as well (sp1 doesn't have play/pause). And once you have changed then you need to remember which one you changed... it soon gets confusing in the heat of the mix.

You can't have two different pad functions going for one deck. Your controller will change with the so-1 so you can't have it set to slicer while you use sampler for example.

IMO more trouble than its worth.

That's actually EXACTLY what I had hoped for!!!

If that's the case, I can run HID alongside, and retain play/pause w/o switching controller layers, and SP1 retains sync/slip/pads on decks 3/4. Beauty.

Saved my life here!