RAM Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAM Question

Default RAM Question

I've been thinking about adding some extra RAM in anticipation of Traktor Pro. The recommened spec on the NI site is 1 Gig, which is my current set up, so I want to add another Gig. Any of you more tech savvy folk want to enlighten me as to whether this will make any significant difference in Traktors stability?

I have the Dell Inspiron 6000, packing 1GB DDR2-400 at the moment. Would removing the DDR2-400 and adding 2 sticks of 1GB DDR2-533 make all the difference?

I'm operating under the assumption that bigger is better, so excuse my ignorance. Ha!
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

hmm.. i have a macbook pro maxed out with 4gbs of ram...and for some reason, i get clicks and pops when i have my latency setting at 2 milisecs...

i always thought that more ram = less latency ...

?!?

That would have more to do with your soundcard, no?
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

more and quicker ram is always an advantage.

but if you add opening more programs with it (because you think your system can hold more) , it could become unstable :eek:

i asume you use xp because with vista it's almost nessesary 2 gb ram
    organic is the word of 2009
    www.dj-wb.com
    www.readthefuckingmanual.com
    setup: reloop rp 6000, xone 92 & 1D, traktor scratch 3.4

I use XP because my system is just gone 3 years old. I keep it in good condition though. The max RAM I can put in is 2 Gigs, so I think I'll go ahead and bump up the memory before I get Traktor Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfromkibbly View Post
    That would have more to do with your soundcard, no?

im using the Audio1 Kontrol

so i guess ram has nothing to do with the milisecons/click and pops issue then? -

what happens if you change the latency settings 2 milliseconds is quite high.
    organic is the word of 2009
    www.dj-wb.com
    www.readthefuckingmanual.com
    setup: reloop rp 6000, xone 92 & 1D, traktor scratch 3.4

Quote Originally Posted by EYENSEE View Post
    hmm.. i have a macbook pro maxed out with 4gbs of ram...and for some reason, i get clicks and pops when i have my latency setting at 2 milisecs...

i always thought that more ram = less latency ...

?!?
    For big CPU calculations yes. For non onboard- graphics and -sound cards no, if I am correct.

Quote Originally Posted by dj wb View Post
    more and quicker ram is always an advantage.

but if you add opening more programs with it (because you think your system can hold more) , it could become unstable :eek:

i asume you use xp because with vista it's almost nessesary 2 gb ram
    Using Vista, Traktor _in_ Ableton and still only 1Gb.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by kidfromkibbly View Post
    I've been thinking about adding some extra RAM in anticipation of Traktor Pro. The recommened spec on the NI site is 1 Gig, which is my current set up, so I want to add another Gig. Any of you more tech savvy folk want to enlighten me as to whether this will make any significant difference in Traktors stability?

I have the Dell Inspiron 6000, packing 1GB DDR2-400 at the moment. Would removing the DDR2-400 and adding 2 sticks of 1GB DDR2-533 make all the difference?

I'm operating under the assumption that bigger is better, so excuse my ignorance. Ha!

2 gigs is almost essential now a days, and its cheap enough as well.

If your going to upgrade how fast your ram is, make sure your motherboard accepts it first . Again all of this should be available on dells website.

buy from newegg or tigerdirect, not dell btw
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

See if your mobo supports dual ram too, if you put the exact same ram in to a mobo that supports dual ram you get a significant performance upgrade. To the point 2x 1gb sitcks can outperform 1x 1gb stick and 1x 2gb stick.

Ram nowadays is actually starting to fall behind the speed of the computers - good ram is really imporant. If you fancy yourself a bit of a tech head you could also start reading about ram timings, the lower the ram timing the better the performance.

Another interesting fact is that though while one ram might claim to be faster (ie it has a higher DDR speed) its actually possible for the slower Ram with better Ram timings to out perform the ram thats rated a higher DDR speed.

So basicly there is a few things that have to be weighted up when buying RAM-

1) are you utilizing the dual ram capabilities of your motherboard ?
    2) does your ram have good ram timings ?
    3) does your motherboard support the ram ?

And yes more RAM can mean less latency, but it depends where you latency is bottlenecking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast