DJing with Live Percussionists
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default DJing with Live Percussionists

so.. got a upcoming gig with a collective of DJ's and at least two live percussionists... Although I've DJ'd with drummers in the past I've never mic'd them up. I'm looking for you guys to shoot holes in my approach and/or suggest other / better options... here's the plan:

The venue is inside / outside.... DJ crew inside on stage, drummers at the threshold of a 12 foot wide roll-up garage door with the lead drummer about 20 feet away from and facing the DJ with a direct sight line for hand signalling. Drummers will have a floor monitor (mains) for accurate timing.

Lead drummer will be playing 1 djembe w/ one mic in the resonance chamber and one mic near the head. The second drummer will be playing two congas with one mic positioned centrally near the heads.

Mics go into the house mixing board and will get mixed down into one stereo pair to be sent to my Audio 8 Sound card though the live input of the third deck (goes through Traktor for FX)... I'm planning on routing the live input directly out of outputs 5/6 on the sound card and into our analog 4 channel DJ mixer.

There are two 'modes' for playing with the drummers as follows....Amplified and un-amplified. The exterior of the venue will not have any sound reinforcement, there will be spillage of sound from the sound system inside the venue and direct sound from the drummers since they are essentially outside. The drummers can / will play continuously throughout the night, however the DJ's may not always have them mixed into their sets. At appropriate moments DJs will hand signal the lead drummers with open and closed fists (open start, closed stop) to introduce and remove them from the mix.

Ok... fire away... and thanks! :eek:

You could someone get them a set of headphones with a midi clock going to there ear and they could play on time with what your doing and have some wicked fun!
    DJM900||CDJ800MKII(2)||PDX 2000(2)||Yamaha HS50M(2)||Yorkville YSS2||Macbook||Traktor 2

http://soundcloud.com/ryanleomusic/

I have jammed with a djembe drummer quite a lot.

Good fun!

He will need to follow your timing of course.

I think it sounds like a decent plan mate!

Nothing wrong with it.

TEST before hand via sound check.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Leo View Post
    You could someone get them a set of headphones with a midi clock going to there ear and they could play on time with what your doing and have some wicked fun!
    yep - timing could be an issue. i've been playing drums a lot longer than i've been dj'ing for. when i used to play with a band that used sequencers i used to have a drum machine just playing a cowbell on the first beat of each bar into my headphones - which used to cut through any ambient noise quite nicely. not sure i'd want to only rely on what's coming out of a PA system for my timing.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Mentor

Latency could be a killer so make sure everything is rigged up properly and try and get a midi clock to go through the headphones!
    Production - 24" iMac. Digidesign 003+ Rack. Genelec 8020A Monitors. UA 710 Twin Finity Preamp. Many Microphones.
    DJ - 15" MBP. Traktor Pro 2. Audio DJ 2. Kontrol X1. Maschine. MidiFighter Pro. AIAIAI TMA-1 Headphones.
    Website Soundcloud Email

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    yep - timing could be an issue. i've been playing drums a lot longer than i've been dj'ing for. when i used to play with a band that used sequencers i used to have a drum machine just playing a cowbell on the first beat of each bar into my headphones - which used to cut through any ambient noise quite nicely. not sure i'd want to only rely on what's coming out of a PA system for my timing.

Thats why there are monitors for the drummers....i guess.

But they would have to be right next to it.

Headphones I would also agree on.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    Thats why there are monitors for the drummers....i guess.

But they would have to be right next to it.

Headphones I would also agree on.
    monitors are ok - but not even 10% as effective as a sound source cutting thru everything else that lets u know where that first beat is. there again i used to play a full acoustic drumkit and liked to hit it hard... not so much of an issue when i moved to an electronic kit - as i had more control over what i heard etc. you can't beat a click track tho...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    monitors are ok - but not even 10% as effective as a sound source cutting thru everything else that lets u know where that first beat is. there again i used to play a full acoustic drumkit and liked to hit it hard... not so much of an issue when i moved to an electronic kit - as i had more control over what i heard etc. you can't beat a click track tho...
    Agreed!

I used to drum for a band before I started DJing as well. Old School metal....hitting it hard...YES!

*Off topic*

I have a White Pearl Export Series....with Double Bass pedal.

What did you rock?

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    Agreed!

I used to drum for a band before I started DJing as well. Old School metal....hitting it hard...YES!

*Off topic*

I have a White Pearl Export Series....with Double Bass pedal.

What did you rock?
    very nice i never had any decent accoustic kit of my own back then, my first ever kit was a 4 piece red pearl kit - but not the export series. with stands that felt like they'd fall over at any minute then got interested in electronic music and so bought an old (even for back then) pearl drx-1 kit, used an old alesis d4 just as a trigger to midi device, bought a decent hihat stand and new cymbols and then added in a mishmash of extra accoustic drums to that as well the last kit i had was based on a cheap set of pads from thomann - which actually weren't too bad. never gigged with it tho - work had become way more important than music sadly...

the pearl drx-1 came before their drum-x i think. doesn't get more 80's retro than this i bought it about 20 years ago tho - so it seemed cool at the time

would love to get a decent acoustic kit one day and add midi triggers to it or something.

I should have said HAD the kit...

I have played on an electronic kit a couple times. The first time...the leads kept falling out of the 'drums'....seriously irritating.

My mate has one setup at his spot....but I am too lazy to get there to jam.

Trying to join this band starting up soon.....I wanna be the dude dropping their beats on my DVS.

Sorry....*hands thread back to OP*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast