Now ... You want fries with that
    No thanks... id like CHIPS please... and by chips i dont mean crisps

Chips:

Crisps:

Not CHiPS:

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Not CHiPS:
    though i did used to rather like that tv programme (show) when a kid

american-english seems like a simplified form of english a lot of the time - and thats no real bad thing - there's loads of oddities in english that makes it tricky for a foreigner to learn...

i do find two things odd tho (and please no flaming...) the american pronunciation of the word "herb" without saying the "h"? what's that about...

also "solder".... sounds oddly more like "sarder" when i've heard people like ean golden saying it on vids... sounds rather comical to me...

overall, though i'd hate to admit it, but i think american-english is generally more sane than english-english... but "pants" is a comedy word - so i always wear "trousers"
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

I was talking to an argentinian friend of mine the other day and she said that to her, american english seemed like a plain accent while the standard 'british' accent (which I took to mean like mine, ie from the south east) is more 'flowery'
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    I was talking to an argentinian friend of mine the other day and she said that to her, american english seemed like a plain accent while the standard 'british' accent (which I took to mean like mine, ie from the south east) is more 'flowery'
    flower? not heard that one before i guess it's what people get used to. i've lived all over so not sure what my own accent is, tho it's southern rather than northern. a mate of mine came over recently from ohio and he has a really strong accent - and speaks so bloody slowly. chatted to other people from the usa who seemed to have much much less of an accent tho.

ofc everyone has an accent... but some seem more obvious than others.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I adore the sound of Photojojos voice... He's a Texan but it's not a Southern drawl it's really smooth and soothing...
    Bit like Irish accents, can be harsh or smooth.

Accents, how did we get onto that???

Oh and I've also noticed that Ean sounds like he is saying "sodder" instead of solder..?

no h's or l's in americanese
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

and a shortage of i's e.g "aluminum"
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Oh and I've also noticed that Ean sounds like he is saying "sodder" instead of solder..?
    yep seems to be an american thing tho - as i've heard a few other people say it the same way on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    and a shortage of i's e.g "aluminum"
    very true and u's like in coloUr but personally i think spelling it as "color" is just more sensible. lots of uk spellings don't make much sense and are due to historical/roots reasons i guess...

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    lots of uk spellings don't make much sense and are due to historical/roots reasons i guess...
    Examples?

What I hate is what someone mentioned earlier, herb being pronounced 'urb'. When people are talking about seasoning a burger it sounds like they're making hash brownies.

'Now, o' course, de most important part. De uuuuuuuuurb.'
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

or that clairol herbal essences ad pretty much sums it up "Love the Rrrballll"

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast