[OT] British + American accents - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGTPW...eature=related

Here you go chaps - how to speak with a 'British dialect'.

PS never heard anyone speak like this ever
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Examples?
    i often find myself explaining to my gf that various letters are 'silent' like 'b' in 'dumb' (not that i call her dumb ofc ) or that some combinations of letters sound different based on their context. like why 'tio' sounds like 'sh' in nation or that 'ee' and 'ea' can sound the same as can 'ir' and 'er and 'ur' so why do we have them all? 'th' can be hard or soft. 'zion' in television is an odd one... there's loads really that you only really think about when someone who isnt a native english speaker asks you "why" something is written or sounds a certain way...

What I hate is what someone mentioned earlier, herb being pronounced 'urb'. When people are talking about seasoning a burger it sounds like they're making hash brownies.

'Now, o' course, de most important part. De uuuuuuuuurb.'
    ah yep - that was me there is a really good reason though why it should be pronounced 'herb' and not 'erb'.... because it's got a f*cking 'H' at the start (as some comedian once said... tho it's not quite so funny once u realise how many stupid silent letter are in other words in english i guess)
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Here you go chaps - how to speak with a 'British dialect'.

PS never heard anyone speak like this ever
    is she for real!?!?!? just sounds like she's just taking the piss talking in a caricature like english accent...

ofc all english people sound like that or cockney
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Seems like every fucking English speaking nation is obsessed with the Queen and the Queens English apart from the actual English.

FFS have you heard how that stupid bitch speaks... no-one speaks like her apart from people in the aristocracy...and they are all mad inbreds and riddled with syphilis.

Get a fucking grip. As for that woman in Lethals video, christ shes an idiot.

Americans take note

jelly:

Jam:

Good point, well made Tommy.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

I thought it was "Jello"
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    I was talking to an argentinian friend of mine the other day and she said that to her, american english seemed like a plain accent while the standard 'british' accent (which I took to mean like mine, ie from the south east) is more 'flowery'
    The thing is in decent schools you get taught proper English with something in between a British and neutral pronunciation, "American" (btw, hate calling people from the US that way) is the language "from the movies and TV" and it slowly takes over in your head.

Trying to put it in a very basic way, British is the textbook English, American is every day English and you somehow think of the first as a "funny accent".

She might think it's flowery because she considers redundant some "exaggerations" that set it apart from "regular" English, kinda when you listen to french and some people consider it classy or delicate.

Personally, I admire Scottish cursing poetry and the general "ring" of the different variations spoken in the UK.

Internet does the rest with grammar .
    Last edited by padi_04; 06-15-2011 at 09:40 AM.

To be fair I find her argentinian accent when speaking spanish quite amusing as well

It's all 'estoy Jegando' and 'me Jamo'.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast