Song browsing on cdj's
    Tech Mentor

Default Song browsing on cdj's

So my setup now consists of 1x CDJ-400, 1x CDJ-350 and a A&H Xone 42 Mixer.

I had previously planned on using these through traktor (not scratch) but I then decided to give it a try without any software/computer. I am absolutely loving everything thing about mixing without software except for a few things:

1. The cdj screens are just too small....Its a real pain going through my songs especially ones that are listed by the artist first and not the song name (i use my external HD and USB Flash drives currently). I have both a Windows 7 desktop that I built myself with specs that are near untouchable with a 22" LCD monitor as well as my 13" Macbook pro. Both have traktor and all my music. Basically i would love to have a way to display my music library on one of my computers and be able to select the tracks using the cdjs. This doesnt need to be through traktor but i am pretty familiar with traktor so any ideas let me know....

2. The cdj-350 doesnt have any effects...this really annoys me as i actually love everything about the cdj otherwise (besides the screen). Any simple solutions here?

3. I have looked around everywhere but cant seem to figure this out...what are the 'Control' plug input in the rear of the CDJ's for? Really bothering me...

4. I am really lost on setting cue points and loops and saving them. I dont believe i can do any memory features on the 350 but the 400 i know how to set and save either 1 cue or 1 loop per song and i can recall whichever one i save. Is there a method to saving more than one cue and/or loop per track though?

Thats all i have come up with so far. Any and all responses are appreciated!
    | 13" MBP (mid 2010) | Traktor Pro 2.0.3 | Audio 8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Akai LPD8 | 2 x CDJ-400 | Allen & Heath Xone 42 | AIAIAI TMA-1 | 2xRokit KRK 6SE WHITE |

Tech Mentor

attached quick phone pic of my setup minus the macbook pro....
    | 13" MBP (mid 2010) | Traktor Pro 2.0.3 | Audio 8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Akai LPD8 | 2 x CDJ-400 | Allen & Heath Xone 42 | AIAIAI TMA-1 | 2xRokit KRK 6SE WHITE |

Quote Originally Posted by csmith5888 View Post

1. The cdj screens are just too small....Its a real pain going through my songs especially ones that are listed by the artist first and not the song name (i use my external HD and USB Flash drives currently). I have both a Windows 7 desktop that I built myself with specs that are near untouchable with a 22" LCD monitor as well as my 13" Macbook pro. Both have traktor and all my music. Basically i would love to have a way to display my music library on one of my computers and be able to select the tracks using the cdjs. This doesnt need to be through traktor but i am pretty familiar with traktor so any ideas let me know....
    You are talking about either using rekordbox with pioneer link (not supported on your CDJs) or HID/ advanced HID with SSL or Traktor.

The CDJ400 has great HID support in both programs and will show the track info on the screen, like this. Unfortunately for you the 350 has no HID support in traktor. It does in SSL I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4ku9dNWHlg

You need HID if you want to do what you're saying and the 350 isn't supported in traktor and I doubt it will be any time soon since NI hasn't even fixed CDJ-2000 support or added advanced hid. A lot of your gripes are features found only in the top players like the 900 and 2000 which are pricey.

Its not going to be possible with the cdj-350 as it doesn't have hid mode like the 400. The 400 can be set up this way as a midi controller. I have two 400s and had ir set up this way. My BIGGEST gripe with 400 and 350 is the screen size and waiting for a track to scroll over.

I love having effects on the jog like the 400. The effects are hardware related on the 400, you have have to map the 350 somehow and have buttons cue effects via traktor etc. Honestly its not really going to happen easily.

I think that is one of those mystery diagnostic ports for pioneer, correct?

And I don't really know too much about setting up cue points via the 350, but it sounds like you want something like the feature found on a 900 or 2000 like xone mentioned.

I'm looking to eventually upgrade to 900s myself just for the screen real-estate.

Both of your cdjs have usb inputs..

This is what I do with my cds but could easily be a method for usb.

Organise you songs into folders IE:100, 101, 102

Limit the number of songs on a cd/folder to around 10

may duplicates of cd (don't need to if yo have flash drives)

When you have it all organized, use note pad or I just use a couple sheets of paper and organize the songs from energy levels IE: early, mid, late with the location of each song and the bpm and key next to it or whatever you want.

So if you dont want to use paper, just create a file on your computer screen and just use it as a reference.

I'd make generic folders that both cdjs can read just to keep it simple.
    DJM900||CDJ800MKII(2)||PDX 2000(2)||Yamaha HS50M(2)||Yorkville YSS2||Macbook||Traktor 2

http://soundcloud.com/ryanleomusic/