Term for this 110bpm stuff?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Term for this 110bpm stuff?

people are calling it moombahton but it's not that beat, it's just like house at 110, or something like that.

Is there an actual term defined yet? I making full length mix of it, but not sure really what to call it.

maybe slowhouse? we got some slowhouse parties going in my city, where they play house music in the 110-115-120 bpm range...
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Wizard

Been wondering this myself. Tracks like Feed Me - One Click Headshot, Skrillex's Bangarang/Reptile, a lot of Nick Thayer stuff... it's the same bpm as moombahton/core so it often gets lumped under that name, but it's not the reggaeton beat and the overall feel is completely different.

Incidentally, I've been looking for more tracks in that BPM range... got any specific examples of what you're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by cymptom View Post
    Been wondering this myself. Tracks like Feed Me - One Click Headshot, Skrillex's Bangarang/Reptile, a lot of Nick Thayer stuff... it's the same bpm as moombahton/core so it often gets lumped under that name, but it's not the reggaeton beat and the overall feel is completely different.

Incidentally, I've been looking for more tracks in that BPM range... got any specific examples of what you're talking about?
    It's called Moombahcore. Basically Moombahton but without the dutch influence and with electro and dubstep influences.

Some people lump it into the "Bass Music" group along with 100bpm Dubstep and 130bpm stuff.
    Last edited by NathanWard; 03-28-2012 at 07:46 PM.
    BCF 2000
    Traktor Pro 2
    Kontrol X1

Tech Wizard

That's what I thought initially, but then I heard a number of tracks (perhaps improperly?) labeled moombahcore that still had that reggaeton drum pattern, so I started to question whether or not it was the right term for the genre...

The BPM and electro/dubstep instrumentality might run parallel, but if the difference in drum patterns totally changes the feel, does it really work to call it all moombahcore?

You're referring to the moombahcore stuff I think.

There is also "lean house" which is just regular, deep, and french house music with no glitch/electro/dubstep/dutch influences in that tempo range. It's not as bad as the moombah stuff but would put me to sleep and I couldn't imagine dancing to this stuff.

On second thought it doesn't at least have a decent groove slowed down like moombahton. That's also why I think moombahcore is silly- when you get rid of the dutch beat it just becomes awkward at that tempo with no groove while it still has electro level synth energy.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 03-28-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Don't people use the term "downtempo" anymore? I have tons of stuff in this tempo range from the 1990s/early 2000s on vinyl that I used to call downtempo. Wasn't consistent in terms of sound or beats though - some of it deep and funky, some of it housey, some of it reggae, some of it hip-hoppy, etc.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Wizard

Some of it could be called downtempo, and some of it moombahton/moombahcore, I suppose. I'm still not really sure exactly what kind of tunes the OP is asking about.

I'm kinda curious about tracks like those I mentioned above, though. I'm no big Skrillex fan, but you have to admit that tracks like Bangarang and Reptile don't feel slow and drive pretty hard for 110bpm. Even songs like "Eddie K and Statix feat. Astronaut - Anymore" at 100bpm move pretty hard despite the tempo. Compared to the stuff I've heard being called moombahcore/moombahton/downtempo, it feels like a separate genre. I almost want to say glitch hop would be closer...

Quote Originally Posted by cymptom View Post

Yeah, this exactly.

I've got about 60 or 70 tracks at 11bpm, and these tracks are clearly not moombahton.

And they have sooooo much energy, very fast sounding.

On beatport some get lumped in with glitch hop, like the Underground - Excision & Downlink, or they get thrown in with electro house like nick thayers stuff, or even dubstep with FS's Dub Combination.

I really, really like this wave of tracks (probably what i'm aiming to start producing), but it's impossible to really find a lot of them.

Tech Wizard

Is it Moombahcore? I don't know I'm liking it too though, and considering how hard tracks like this are to come by, I was thinking about trying to produce some as well...

I'm trying to put together a set that focuses on this style too, so if you're interested I'd be down for swapping song lists. Mine's not so extensive yet, but... yea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast