CDJ pitch control?
    Tech Guru

Default CDJ pitch control?

Can anyone post any links that talk (semi) in depth about the pitch control on CDJ's, Mk1's through to 2000's. i.e. the increments in which it changes as you move up and down the pitch slider. Like when the display changes the percentage value is that the only increment it moves in, or does it have a smaller value not displayed on the screen that changes audibly? Also do different models have different levels of sensitivity?

Just curious to know the ins and outs of the pitch controls of the CDJ's.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    Can anyone post any links that talk (semi) in depth about the pitch control on CDJ's, Mk1's through to 2000's. i.e. the increments in which it changes as you move up and down the pitch slider. Like when the display changes the percentage value is that the only increment it moves in, or does it have a smaller value not displayed on the screen that changes audibly? Also do different models have different levels of sensitivity?

Just curious to know the ins and outs of the pitch controls of the CDJ's.

Cheers.
    http://tinyurl.com/269lh4c

Hope that helps.
    Tony the Pony.
    My soundcloud page. House, mainly.

Mixcloud & Website coming soon.

The only thing you need to know is "stop worrying about it."

If the CDJ still works, its pitch resolution is good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post

Some people are naturally curious and are interested in technical details how things work. :/

I have a mk1 and the pitch isn't anything special. It's lowest increment is 6% and highest is 24%. It does the job but yeah..
    It feels really shitty imo.. The controllers I have have a really nice resistance to the pitch whereas on the cdj it just slides around.. Hard to explain I guess. Makes it feel really flimsy like it's just a plastic knob on the top and it's not really connected to anything..

One thing I can say for it is it's very fast to make changes and 6% for me is accurate enough + nudging. I know the mk3 goes to 2% but yeah pretty negligible imo between the two.
    What else.. It's pretty straight forward on the mk1, certainly nothing special. If anything it feels pretty cheap for the price you're paying for the deck. That thing is almost 10 years old though so I'm sure the newer ones are a bit better.

Tech Guru

Thanks for the responses

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post

I know it's good enough but want I want to know is when you move the slider there is a small amount of distance it travels before the percentage figure changes on the display, is anything happening in the amount of distance the slider has travelled or is it literally when you see the percentage change that is when the pitch actually does anything?

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    Thanks for the responses

I know it's good enough but want I want to know is when you move the slider there is a small amount of distance it travels before the percentage figure changes on the display, is anything happening in the amount of distance the slider has travelled or is it literally when you see the percentage change that is when the pitch actually does anything?
    It's digital, so when the number changes, the pitch changes. The smaller the increment, ie CDJ800mk2 over MK1, the finer the pitch change.
    Tony the Pony.
    My soundcloud page. House, mainly.

Mixcloud & Website coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    Some people are naturally curious and are interested in technical details how things work. :/
    Oh believe me, I know…I'm a tremendous geek when it comes to some things. But in the end that detail doesn't matter…there's nothing you can do to change it other than buying a newer/better deck…and that's not necessary.

It's one of those things that will worry a lot of people if they worry about it and that the same people will never notice if they just don't worry.

For example…there have been reports that the cdj-1000mk2 (and all pio decks since then) had a finer pitch resolution than the m5g even though Technics–to my knowledge–never actually gave out this specification. Guess which one people complained about not being good enough…