VCI-400SE or Denon DN-X1700 what would you buy??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default VCI-400SE or Denon DN-X1700 what would you buy??

I was thinking of changing my setup to the denon dn-x1700 with two K2's or X1's, but then I saw the VCI-400SE and am confused. Sold my S4 to get a Maschine and eventually buy the 1700. The 1700 would open up the input realm and allow me to use my Numark TTX as well as daisy chain the Maschine for live samples in midi sync.

I found the DN-X1700 for $1179 so only $179 more than the speculated price of the VCI, which you be your pick and why?

I NEED HELP! Heh
    Last edited by quality control; 01-04-2012 at 10:18 PM.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

That's a tough call. I have a DNX1600 and two X1's, but have a little gear lust towards the VCI-400.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Hmm different beasts... i've got mxer, technics and an x1 and love the feel of proper gear but i still love the convenience and power of an all in one controller and the VCI 100SE is pure techtools mapping power and that is worth it's weight in gold.

I'm almost certainly gonna get a 400SE as i think they are going all out on this one. It's proper gear with techtools branding and mapping with vestax engineering.

Screams controller quality to me... though i haven't had a go on a regular VCI 400 yet so i could be mistaken
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Guru

@quality control - the gear head in me says go for the 1700, the all-in-one fan in me says VCI-400.

Can you use the Ean Golden mapping on a regular VCI-400?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The Ean Golden edition has special firmware. I'm not sure if the firmware will be user updatable.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

does the vci 400 have mixer functionality when not plugged in to the computer? i think it doesn't if i remember correctly. my concern would be that its a lot invested and if your lappy takes a dump, this thing is useless until your computer issues are sorted.

my budget for controllers and mixers is very small though, so thats always a concern to me. i don't like being 100% reliant on my lappy - because i have a computer on it's last legs.

with the mixer, you get a solid mixer - as well as the built in soundcard, midi functionality and two fx processors.

as maxone said - they're different beasts, get the one you want most first and get the other one later. i'd personally consider the x1600 over the 1700. also, NAMM's just around the corner - see if denon (or any other manufacturer) drop any surprises.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ToOntown View Post
    @quality control - the gear head in me says go for the 1700, the all-in-one fan in me says VCI-400.

Can you use the Ean Golden mapping on a regular VCI-400?
    This is why I am having such a hard time. The DN-X1600 is nice but it also incorporates video control and the layout is not as nice as the 1700. Also the illumination on the 1700 is supposed to be far superior. The price difference between the 1600 to 1700 is $179 as the 1700 is onsale for $1179.

I am still stuck as the VCI-400 is going to be a great all in one piece of gear. But the mixer with a few add ons like midi fighters or maybe K2's will be a killer setup.

Ugghh why must they keep doing this to us?

Quote Originally Posted by quality control View Post

Ugghh why must they keep doing this to us?
    Truthfully it's a living hell... i wish we could go back to two turntable and a mixer dayz

What ever you get, you will get gear lust with a couple of months guaranteed
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Mentor

I might just have to buy both. I dunno the DN-X1700 with dual FX is a pretty sick unit. But I have a feeling that VCI is going to be killer too.

Quote Originally Posted by deco View Post
    does the vci 400 have mixer functionality when not plugged in to the computer?
    same question here. VCI400SE looks fantastic, but not enough of an improvement over the S4 to switch for me, unless it has mixer capability. I just referred back to the original 400 article and didn't see any mention of mixer functionality. I suppose that means its not there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast