What specs to check for scratching on a controller?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default What specs to check for scratching on a controller?

Without having to actually try every individual controller on the market, is there a way of determining how accurate the jog wheels will be for scratching? Probably latency and jog wheel resolution have something to do with it? Anything other factors? Thanks!
    2012 DMC Supremacy World Champ + IDA World Champ

Tech Guru

Software integration is equally important as tech specs are. For example, Traktor only has good jog wheel interaction with the S2+4, and HID CDJs. Reviews e.g. from DJWORX and DDJT usually mention how good the jogs are for scratching.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Software integration is equally important as tech specs are. For example, Traktor only has good jog wheel interaction with the S2+4, and HID CDJs. Reviews e.g. from DJWORX and DDJT usually mention how good the jogs are for scratching.
    Ahh, true, I actually read people having issues with non-NI controllers on Traktor. So S2 and S4 are the ONLY controllers that have good jog wheel interaction with Traktor?

So I guess this means either trying or getting reviews is pretty necessary, still curious which specs will affect the accuracy of the jog wheels though.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

So S2 and S4 are the ONLY controllers that have good jog wheel interaction with Traktor?
    The best Jog wheel interaction with traktor - Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Vekked View Post
    still curious which specs will affect the accuracy of the jog wheels though.
    Native HID, other controllers use regular midi

Course you could always buy CDJ's for Performance Scratching with Traktor which also have HID mode.

Or the likes of the DDJ-SX/SR with Serato will have similar (some say better) performance and they are nicer jogs IMHO.

you just need a good crossfader and good software. Traktor is not good software in this case, unless you use the Numark 4trak, but personally I don't like the crossfader on it.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    The best Jog wheel interaction with traktor - Yes

Native HID, other controllers use regular midi

Course you could always buy CDJ's for Performance Scratching with Traktor which also have HID mode.

Or the likes of the DDJ-SX/SR with Serato will have similar (some say better) performance and they are nicer jogs IMHO.
    Word, thanks for the reply. For full disclosure I'm considering doing some scratching tutorials across a variety of controllers and I want to see what's like the minimum standard/cheapest options for good accurate scratching. I've seen videos of the S2/S4, VCI 300/380, and Pioneer DDJ-SX showing they're all totally capable, but wondering how far down it's possible to go without sacrificing accuracy for people learning.

why don't you get some sponsorship from vestax and see if you can get a VCI-380 to do your tutorials, it's only going to be good for them.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Guru

Without having to actually try every individual controller on the market, is there a way of determining how accurate the jog wheels will be for scratching?
    Specs will give you a "works or not" level of granularity. The best way is to read/watch reviews VERY CAREFULLY and determine if the hardware is likely to make you happy...given your workflow, goals, style, etc.

NI does a VERY good job integrating their controllers with their software. The integration is about as tight as it gets.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Guru

Word, thanks for the reply. For full disclosure I'm considering doing some scratching tutorials across a variety of controllers and I want to see what's like the minimum standard/cheapest options for good accurate scratching. I've seen videos of the S2/S4, VCI 300/380, and Pioneer DDJ-SX showing they're all totally capable, but wondering how far down it's possible to go without sacrificing accuracy for people learning.
    A used VCI 300 is probably the cheapest option with a reputation for good scratch capabilities.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    why don't you get some sponsorship from vestax and see if you can get a VCI-380 to do your tutorials, it's only going to be good for them.
    haha that's an option for sure but generally sponsorships require you to be exclusive to their gear, and it could be nice to have the option of using different controllers. I'll probably look into getting loaner gear from distributors if possible, but yea I'm not planning on buying every controller on the market or anything lol. I guess I could just poll to see the most popular controllers and stick to 1 of each brand like one of each VCI, S4, DDJ or something as well... ideas, ideas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast