What can I do in the meantime?
    Tech Wizard

Default What can I do in the meantime?

At the moment I'm grinding behind a grill to pull in some cash for some gear, and on a minimum wage that's not gonna come too quick.

My question being, what can I do in the meantime to get myself ahead? I'm just collecting songs but there HAS to be more for me to do until I get my tables.

Get an extra keyboard and map it to use it like a controller. You can teach yourself how the effects work and what sounds good. You can beatgrid and set cue points on all your tracks. Sort said tracks. You can buy an X-session pro and learn all that stuff for pretty cheap.

but yeah...I'm out of ideas...

ps: the first person to say that the x-session is a toy get's my foot...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Virtual DJ has a free home edition, get that, maybe map your keyboard and go from there.

Tech Convert

read up and study DJing and music theory. Learn your songs, think of good points to mix in/out. Learn to count BPM. Start organizing and tagging your library. Find good record labels. get VDJ and practice what you can on that. Listen to mixes and learn how other DJs transition/ mix. Go to clubs/ bars and watch the DJ manipulate the crowd and learn from it. try to practice on a friends gear. Find more music. Think of songs that compliment each other. watch youtube videos on DJing. Be in charge/ manage the music at a friends party, or your own. read reviews. annd last thing I can think of (again) FIND MOAR MUSIC.

go out with friends, practice some sport, read...

Listen to you tunes over and over again. Learn the subtle changes throughout the track so that you instinctively know where the best sounding lead in/lead out points are.

Also agree with what everyone else has said about mapping your keyboard. Or buy a REALLY cheap controller. Behringer CMD PL-1 is cheap or even pick up a midifighter classic. Start playing about with different DJ software to learn the basics and start to gain an idea of which is better suited to your personal tastes.

.....and watch loads of youtube tutorials. Ellaskins has some solid beginner tutorials.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    .....and watch loads of youtube tutorials. Ellaskins has some solid beginner tutorials.
    This. Ellaskins is the man.
    Lenovo P580 || TSP2 || Traktor Z2 || 2x Audio-Technica AT-LP120 || Pioneer HDJ 1500 || Behringer B212D || http://www.mixcloud.com/Calzonetti/

I cant say enough good things about Ellaskins and also Brian S Redd.

Also GO TO CLUBS, listen to what the dj is doing! Watch the people and see how they respond.

well you can look for a second hand controller i'm sure you can find one under $100 the hercules MK2 is nice and cheap.

a brand new Behringer CMD goes for $70
    http://www.pssl.com/DJ-Computer-Cont...-DJ-Controller

Traktor still has a demo mode IIRC. 30 min time limit. Recording is disabled within traktor, but you can still record using another source.