Buy Dre's for a good deal? Or other set of headphones?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Buy Dre's for a good deal? Or other set of headphones?

I eventually need to upgrade my studio / dj headphones. I have the oppurtunity to buy a pair for Studio Dre's for $150. Should I go for it, or are their better options then Dre's for 150?

Beats are the epitome of style over substance. If you want accuracy for studio use, beats are not what you're looking for. For DJing look at Pioneer HDJs, or sennheiser HD-25s, and for production look at AKG or similar.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Save another 50 bucks and get TMA-1s.

F@ck em! don't buy!

I have owned a pair for 2yrs now this is the second time I'm gonna get a replacement because of the cracked headband.

Shite construction, but decent (colored) sound and noise reduction. Still they are overhyped
    OSX 10.6.4 | Traktor Pro 2 | VCi-100 FW 1.4 | NI Audio 8 | Xone 92 | M Audio BX8A Deluxe

Tech Convert

Style of substance.

Go for some Sennheisers or Pioneers ll day long.

Over your prie range but these have popular recently http://www.djs-only.co.uk/product/or...-dj-headphones

Tech Guru

They are made by MonsterCable. If you know anything about Monster then you know that they will do ANYTHING to rip you off. Nice TV need an HDMI cable? This cost pennies to produce but we'll sell it to you for 129.99$.

Why? Marketing costs quite a bit these days and the average person doesn't know any better. Especially when BestBuy employees are forced to push the high end accessories as that has the greatest profit margin. Even when you can buy a HDMI cable that works exactly 100% the same for about 2$ on any internet retailer.

Basically they make a product that looks great and does the job, even if it's only good enough. Cutting corners wherever they can to shave price of production. Why make a set of headphones that can last 5 years when we can make a pair that breaks in a year? Casual consumers haven't a clue about what their buying.

I had to quit BestBuy because I just couldn't do it anymore. I understand their running a business but that doesn't mean that they have to cheat people. They went as far as telling us that we were to literally lie to customers and show them the "difference" between a normal HDMI cable and a Monster Cable buy showing them two TVs both playing the same movie. One was plugged in using the Monster Cable the other was plugged in with a normal composite cable. Obviously 9 times out of 10 they would buy the Monster Cable. I know that these are more BestBuy tactics rather than Monster but I discount the very tight integration that Monster and BestBuy have. Plus any company that sues little kids because they used the name Monster are just plain @#$^%^, not to mention everyone else they tried to sue for anything with the name Monster in it. I guess their lawyers skipped their trademark class.

Don't get me wrong Beats are good but for the price you pay you really should be getting a GREAT pair of headphones. I will pay more for a similar product when I feel that the company is truthful in marketing. Make a product that does it's job to the best of it's ability and make it last. That's all anyone want's when they buy something, oh and make it look cool.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Some non-sennheiser recommendations for Studio work and accurate listening:

Sony MDR75-series http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-audio/cat-headphones/
    (as used by Sasha)

Ultrasone HFI-range http://www.ultrasone.com/index.php/e...s/pro-550.html
    (as used by me)

is that John McEnroe?
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Go ahead if you have more money than sense. If they are made by MC then a pair of paper cups will sound just as good.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    is that John McEnroe?
    i lol'd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast