harmonic mixing/ nexus question
    Tech Student

Default harmonic mixing/ nexus question

hi guys, playing for the first time on the nexus next week at a club. Tracks have been processed in mixed in key first and now in rekordbox all is well. Can i ask does the traffic light system work for just tracks in same key and plus 1/2 or is does it match further keys eg. let's say your in 1A, will it suggest 2A, 3A, 8A, 5A &10A which are all compatable? or will it just select 2a & 3a. Also in rekordbox when clicking the match tracks button does this then transfer over to the cdjs so when your track is plating you have a list of your own matched tracks? Thanks in advance

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by craigforrest View Post
    hi guys, playing for the first time on the nexus next week at a club. Tracks have been processed in mixed in key first and now in rekordbox all is well. Can i ask does the traffic light system work for just tracks in same key and plus 1/2 or is does it match further keys eg. let's say your in 1A, will it suggest 2A, 3A, 8A, 5A &10A which are all compatable? or will it just select 2a & 3a. Also in rekordbox when clicking the match tracks button does this then transfer over to the cdjs so when your track is plating you have a list of your own matched tracks? Thanks in advance
    Learn your keys so you don't have to rely on stop lights. Semitones are easy to memorize and you'll evolve more interesting harmonic combinations, since you won't be limited to 5ths, which the Camelot system basically does. I've found slowl bringing in an atonal track one semitone up or down can be a striking mood change, or deviating by a third or a seventh can be great.

You can also try mixing in a drastically different keyed track in an area without much melody, shifting the pitch during a shared breakdown/buildup and then transitioning cleanly into the new track/tracks with the mood change of a key shift.