Rudi-Js VCI-400SE mapping: X-mas wish list
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Rudi-Js VCI-400SE mapping: X-mas wish list

Hi there,
    this thread goes out to those who are using my mapping for the VCI-400SE because in the upcoming Xmas holidays I’ll probably find the time and patience to implement an update. So before actually getting down to work I thought it might be a good idea to ask the community about ideas for some cool future functionality.

I have no idea how many people are actually using my mapping edit but from the positive feedback I got so far I trust there might at least be some. A big thank you again to those who have posted feedback and expressed their appreciation. In the following paragraphs I tried to summarize suggestions that came up so far.

Here is the link to the mapping fyi: https://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings/878

Bug fixing (accomplished however not yet released):
    - failure to set Deck B/D as master
    - glitch in behaviour of stand by mode of grid (Deck B)
    --> others?

Suggested improvements:
    Hold mode for slicer FX in GRID mode; Enable activation without forcing an active loop (suggested by EVAN)
    --> My plan here is to keep toggle mode as an default and to enable hold mode only if the GRID was activated (stand-by mode) but then the "active loop" button is switched off. This would allow using the slicer FX without a loop in hold mode and to return to toggle mode by just activating looping again.

Another thought is to enhance the GRID with further banks of preset values for the slicer effect (like it is implemented for GRATIFY) The downside might be that it would be slightly more complicated to activate it and I am not sure if having a lot more of alternative slicing presets is really worth it...

Compatibility with DJTT new Firmware v2:
    This would most probably mean to abandon the original SLICER functionality. Furthermore I am not sure if I would be able to maintain the LED feedback for the GRATIFY banks properly anymore. It is such a pity DJTT removed firing MIDI triplets from those buttons in the performance section in firmware v2. I would be so happy if they would bring it back as I appreciate of course on the other hand that the new firmware comes with interesting additional midi events supporting Fader FX functionality. So I am torn between keeping the old fimware as a base or switching to the new one. If Chris aka fleshflooder should read this: Please Please Please.... Bring it back (but then as 3x NoteOn/NoteOff instead of NoteOn/NoteOn/NoteOn followed by NoteOff/NoteOff/NoteOff what to my experience seems to somehow "confuse" Traktor - probably only on Windows maschines). Talking about firmware issues: What would also be highly appreciated from my side if the tiny track load buttons would accept LED feedback.

(Former) Loop mode of the transport section:
    This is currently used to control FX assignments and toggling between Insert and post fader mode: I will probably simplify this for insert/post fader control only, as the FX/Deck assignment is already available elsewhere. I got a suggestion from dubyou to bring back the loop adjustments here but actually i am quite happy with the loop controls available through the two black encoders (already provided in the original DJTT mapping). These work so nice - in particular in flux mode. The other issue i have with the "Loop" and also the "Cue 1-4" modes of the transport section is that the tiny switch is really a curse in terms of ergonomics so I tend to leave the transport section in "FOG-FX" mode almost at all times and in consequence I’d like to have functionality in the other two modes that are only needed occasionally.

GRATIFY:
    Steven Pfeffer and also dubyou have asked for a blinking freeze delay toggle and I think its going to be implemented in GRATIFY Bank 2 at button 7 and 8 with two different presets for the delay (1/4 and 1/8 ?). As for the other presets in the other banks I am of course open to some creative suggestions. I am also not sure if the current combination, selection and order of Macro FX in bank 8 is appreciated by everybody.
    Dubyou suggested adding a filter in the bank 4 (the one with delays) on button 8.
    As a matter of fact one limitation of the current GRATIFY implementation is that all the (max 3) effects are loaded upon selection of a bank and then just get activated with different presets as performance buttons are pressed. This concept could be changed in a way that pressing a performance button would always first load the effect and then fire it. Could probably work and would theoretically allow us to deal with max 8+8+8 different effects in one bank - but certainly only with a firmware supporting the midi triplets in the performance section (see comments above).

Jog FX
    Dubyou also asked for a tighter response of the wheels in the JOG 2 setting (swirl). Anybody else having suggestions altering the JOG-FX response (and also selection of the 8 effect-presets).
    For Dry/Wet or other adjustment the pitch fader could be employed? Shouldn't they?
    Is anybody making use of the Reverse Feature of the Jog-FXs?

Flux mode toggle vs. CUE
    Anybody missing te Cue button? (Personally I am quite happy the way the Flux toggle is implemented right now including visual feedback).

Modular Structure of TSI:
    It is obviously possible to split up a mapping into a bunch of virtual devices appearing separately in the Traktor Controller Manager. As each of these virtual devices would then have their independent set of modifiers, this would open up the possibility to simplify and optimize certain things. In the current > 3.500 lines long mapping I am definitely running out of modifiers. In the long run it would probably also allow users to "cherry pick" between different implementations of GRATIFY, SLICER JOG FX etc. possibly provided by different authors and by this allowing everyone to create his or her individual combination of preferred functionality. On the other hand I don't know yet if this would have technical downsides (performance?) or other limitations. So if anybody has good advice on this please let me know...

Maschine integration
    I don't know how many of you are using Maschine in parallel with Traktor and the VCI. I experimented a lot with Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) and also Jack to create virtual audio links between both programs but am not happy with audio latency/quality on my i4 quad core Win 7 PC with either solution. For the time being I ended up feeding Maschines audio out via the built in soundcard line out (ASIO4ALL @256) and a hardware cable into the VCIs Line In (running Vestax Audio Firmware d006.bin, vestax driver also @256) so Maschine appears in Traktor through Deck C or D when set to "live input".
    What I am thinking about is to figure out a way to use the (otherwise void CUE and SLICER) buttons of the performance section in the live mode to control certain features of MASCHINE via MIDI (i.e. switching between scenes or stuff like this). Any good ideas out there?
    It could also be worthwhile to figure out improved Traktor to Maschine transport control support as when Maschine is slave to Traktor's clock a more handy access to Traktor's "Master clock view" and the buttons out there would certainly make sense.

Further suggestions or opinions? As I said: consider this as the Christmas wish list for the VCI-400EGE addict.

Best wishes - Rüdi

Tech Convert

Crap Rudi, just switched mapping over to new macbook from windows and all is good except the gratify section. It will not turn on the actual fx unit. The actual effects are working as they should just not turning on the fx. If I turn on fx manual it works fine. Tried importing multiple times with big import and including a fresh download. Any Ideas????? Thanks!

Tech Wizard

Did you press at least once shift+performance button 1 to establish a link between the fx unit and the deck you are working with?

Tech Convert

Yes tried that. Still nothing. I have loaded just your file twice with no other files on big import to no avail. I have tried the flash flooder edit and it worked fine. Also I have MF 3d and it is working fine. I had windows machine and it worked perfect so not sure why it would be different all of a sudden. I am out of ideas.....again appreciate your help.

Tech Wizard

Hmmmm that's strange indeed. Do you still have the Windows maschine available? If so, can you again confirm the vci-400ege (with initial firmware installed) same TSI loaded connected with same usb cable is really behaving correctly on the Win-PC but not when connected to the MAC? (Maybe this kind of back to back double checking reveals any unnoticed difference)
    Also please check if the problem is the same for all banks in GRATIFY and whether SLICER and GRID are probably affected as well.
    Unfortunately I have no access to a MAC. Hopefully some of the guys using the mapping on a MAC could jump in at this point and confirm the TSI runs flawless on their maschines..
    On the MAC is there as well a way to change the USB latency in the driver for the VCI? If so please play with that and check if it has any effect.
    Last edited by Rudi-J; 12-27-2012 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Further ideas

Tech Wizard

you gave up pfef ?

Tech Convert

For now. I have mf3d to handle some of the stuff on gratify section anyway. Still love mapping though. Going to get the extreme mapping program for MAC and explore further. BTW- it does work on slicer and grid. I am new to MAC so am not sure about the usb latency. Thanks

Tech Wizard

These MIDI-triplets of the performance buttons in the original firmware...
    I have a suspicion that DJTT may have abandoned them in the 2.0 firmware because they seemingly deliver different outcomes with TP & MAC compared to TP & Windows.
    With the original DJTT mapping the SLICER never worked proberly on my PC for instance, whereas other dudes (MAC users?) seemed to never have experienced any issues

Tech Mentor

Default Rudy

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi-J View Post
    These MIDI-triplets of the performance buttons in the original firmware...
    I have a suspicion that DJTT may have abandoned them in the 2.0 firmware because they seemingly deliver different outcomes with TP & MAC compared to TP & Windows.
    With the original DJTT mapping the SLICER never worked proberly on my PC for instance, whereas other dudes (MAC users?) seemed to never have experienced any issues

Any updates to this wonderful mapping?

Tech Wizard

Yepp - only a question of 3-4 weeks....
    I nick-named it the "Elephant Mapping" for reasons you will understand once it has been released...
    Need some more time to finalise the TSI by replicating/testing functionality i already created for deck A to the other 3 decks.
    And this time I rather go for a video tutorial instead of a "booklet" what i guess will also need some time.
    So stay tuned....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast