Kontrol X1 or Xone 2d
    Tech Mentor

Default Kontrol X1 or Xone 2d

It is time for me to get a new controller. Right now I use a Launchpad and mix 2 decks externally (umix44). I occasionally mix internally with a nanokontrol (prefer external) and use the loop recorder or an extra deck.

My question is, should I go with the x1 and upgrade my sound card later, with the 2d ad be able to mix 3 decks externally right away (3 chan mixer).

I am pretty on the fence right now, so any help would be great.

Also, I mainly mix 4/4 stuff (house tech house and minimal) and I am just as happy seeking with an encoder as I am a jog.both have to be better than buttons.

Cost isn't too much of an issue as I have found a used 2d for the same price as a used x1+ case.

I switched from a Xone 1D + Xone 2D set up to a Two Kontrol X1 + Audio 8 and never looked back. The Kontrol X1s are far better for traktor then the Xones were. Wile the Xone 1D/2D do offer a higher build quality the lack led feed back for most buttons and and the ones that do have led feed back don't work properly with tracktor. he 1 to 1 integration the X1s have with tracktor is also fantastic. Using the 1D/2D was a real headache compared to my ever so wonderfull X1's. Anyways that's just my take on things hopefully it helped.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by eataskdotcom View Post
    I switched from a Xone 1D + Xone 2D set up to a Two Kontrol X1 + Audio 8 and never looked back. The Kontrol X1s are far better for traktor then the Xones were. Wile the Xone 1D/2D do offer a higher build quality the lack led feed back for most buttons and and the ones that do have led feed back don't work properly with tracktor. he 1 to 1 integration the X1s have with tracktor is also fantastic. Using the 1D/2D was a real headache compared to my ever so wonderfull X1's. Anyways that's just my take on things hopefully it helped.
    Says the guy selling his A8 ...
    Thanks for the quick response... How would the 2D work in along side the X1? Or are the X1s that much more awesome?
    Also, even though I prefer mixing externally, how well do the X1's work mixing internally? Sometimes I just don't have the space to use my mixer too.

Also, how well do the X1s play with ableton?
    Last edited by muffintop; 09-07-2012 at 02:02 PM.

The reason im selling my audio 8:

DJM 850!

Anyways, to answer your questions:

Thanks for the quick response... How would the 2D work in along side the X1? Or are the X1s that much more awesome?

If you wanted to used the 2D to control the internal traktor mixer i imagine it would be fine? But if you are going to do that you might as well get a K2. However i imagine you want the 2D and X1 so you can have a cheaper 4 channel 4 deck solution than two X1s and an audio 8. I feel, especially once you have the two side by side the disparity between the two controllers will become even more obvious and you will probably want to ditch the 2D. If the two X1's and an audio 8 is to much financially perhaps go with a Reloop Contour Interface Edition and an X1. A buddy of mine has one of those and its a solid controller and is much better suited for traktor then the old 2D. I believe its only about $300 for the interface edition new.

how well do the X1's work mixing internally?

I've never done it as i really don't like using anything but a mixer to do my mixing on. I imagine it would work just fine though if you remapped the effects knobs and don't mind using them.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

What about a Xone K2?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Xone k2 isn't ideal because I mainly mix externally and would like to mix more than 2 decks. Also, as excited as I was for it to come out I don't really like the feel of it.

As far as the cost issue, that wasn't so much my concern as paying for a dvs card when I won't ever be using the ins. I tend to buy gear piece at a time when I can afford it. The contour is an interesting choice though... The main reason I was looking at the 2d was the faders (for cutting in and out effects quicker than knobs) .

I'll probably get an x1 for now and stick witty with 2 decks mixed externally for the time being. Get another x1 soon, mix internally for a bit then spring for a new sound card and mixer when I can.

On a not so related note, how does the dj850 fair for playing out? Especially if they don't have one. Do you have to bring your own? Or do you have a backup card?

2D. Nobrainer...

Well actually you should see the 2D as a Landrover Defender and the X1 as a new Volkswagen. Both well built. One is more suitable for handling highways, one is more suitable for hostile terrain. One has fancy lights and electronics, the other one will survive a nuclear blast....
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

I have an X1 and I really like it...I thought about a 1D or 2D a while back but decided to not go that direction....I am glad I did. I saved up and got a nice mixer with built-in sound card (DN-X1700) and am able to pretty much all the basic stuff that I want using the mixer and my X1. I added an F1 for remix decks and that has been really useful. I have Xone:K2 that I occassionally use for mixing internally, but am switching my mapping of it for more dedicated controls that the mixer, x1, or f1 don't give me: pitch faders, key-lock, Traktor's per-channel filter, and the 4x4 button matrix as a sort of MIDI Fighter inspired FX pad. So you may consider an X1 and K2 combo as an alternative.
    Traktor: Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, DN-MC3000, DN-X1700
    Ableton: Launchpad, nanoKontrol2, LPK-25, BCR2000

Tech Mentor

Update...
    Just got the 2d about a week ago, and I LOVE it.
    I have a pretty simple internal 2 deck tsi that I've been playing with.
    I'll post it when I get it closer to finished.
    I'm going to make a 3 deck external tsi next and a 4 deck external after that (and after I get a new mixer)
    I'd recomend it to anyone for sure.

I've had no problems with the 64 bit drivers (windows 7).