Problem determining differences between Electro House and Prog. House
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Problem determining differences between Electro House and Prog. House

Can someone explain it to me and give any examples? I just can't find it totally different and please, please, if you are willing to help, don't refer me to any articles. I've done some researches, and it doesn't help.

Cheers

In my opinion there is no difference. Unfortunately some idiot decided that electro house is now labelled as progressive house even though there is nothing 'progressive' about the sound.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    In my opinion there is no difference. Unfortunately some idiot decided that electro house is now labelled as progressive house even though there is nothing 'progressive' about the sound.
    Okay but technically electro house ain't labelled progressive, instead there are two of them which makes it confusing.

Only way for me to know is to check out Beatport, lol. Any other opinions?

If you're talking about the big room sound, there's no difference.

If you're talking about the more laid back less formulaic almost-trance that was closer to 125 than 140, the producers all got together and decided to make basically the same music but call it house, deep house, techno, minimal, or probably some other things. And it's very easy to hear the difference between that and electro house.

Bascially...your life will get easier when you stop worrying about what something is labeled...except when you're shopping for tracks by genre, 'cuz you need to listen to several.

Then again, if you're playing electro house and prog house, you probably just want the beatport top100 anyway.

Electro house and real Progressive house are not similar in any way

Key word there is real

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post

Key word there is real
    Why don't you just explain why they are not similar in any way?

Yeah I actually can't do more than following what the label says..

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Then again, if you're playing electro house and prog house, you probably just want the beatport top100 anyway.
    I know, I hate the fact that there are hundreds of great tunes that are separated by the label, while I can't determine myself if someone asks me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotzeus View Post
    Why don't you just explain why they are not similar in any way?

Yeah I actually can't do more than following what the label says..
    Because what Beatport describes as progressive is not really progressive. It's electro being mislabeled. It's just like half of the shit in the minimal section isn't minimal. Genres are being tossed around now and hardly anyone knows what is what anymore.

You're probably familiar with Deadmau5, go look up his old shit from like 2008 and there you'll find some progressive house without difficulty.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post

Key word there is real
    Very true.

-

In general, it can take time to start learning the differences in genres. Especially some genres like tech house & techno can be very similar in some ways, making it difficult for a newer listener to know the differences.

All comes in time, no rush.

Real prog house is my favorite kind of house..... Sadly because of the mis labeling you have to search a whole multitude of genre labels to find what you want... Deep house/ techno/ minimal are the three I've found real prog house in..... Oh and if your ears can take it browsing the prog house section of beatport can sometimes result in real prog house

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast