producing on headphones (any Audio Technica ATH M50 owners?) - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tech Wizard

I use both monitors and headphones for my production/mixing/mastering. I have just recently purchased my monitors(krk rokit 5's) and am very pleased to have the option to now use monitors, but I still continue to use my headphones(Dre Beats Studio...don't judge me they were a gift but I'm actually pretty pleased with them too). When my track sounds good in both the headphones and threw the monitors i consider it done. I just thought I'd contribute to this thread by explaining my current production/mixing method.
    *NOTE* I consider myself somewhat of a beginner producer.

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    Now, these interfaces basically have amps inside them. They also have inputs and other outputs, so you can connect more professional cable connectors on them, TRS and XLR. The thing is, usually these devices have drivers that have been specifically written for the chipset/DAC inside the interface. Doing so guarantees lower latency and less crashes because the driver doesn't have to scale and remodel itself in real time to the chipset on your integrated soundcard.
    You're probably using ASIO4ALL, which does a mighty good job at coping with various different chipset by many manufacturers (realtek, via, etc etc), and can usually keep the latency at a very low level.
    okay, I'll run with this advice and get a pair of AKG 701s.. no-one has anything negative to say about them, and I always slightly doubted the ability of the ATH M50s just based on the fact that they're closed cans - no doubt they're beautiful sounding however!

I'm still undecided on the soundcard/interface I want, what's the minimum I would need to power these to their full potential, do you know?
    "We think too much and feel too little"
    K B R I D G E

Quote Originally Posted by kbridge View Post
    okay, I'll run with this advice and get a pair of AKG 701s.. no-one has anything negative to say about them, and I always slightly doubted the ability of the ATH M50s just based on the fact that they're closed cans - no doubt they're beautiful sounding however!

I'm still undecided on the soundcard/interface I want, what's the minimum I would need to power these to their full potential, do you know?
    Great choice!
    Still, isn't there a way for you to get to try out both cans or at least one pair? Because i din't want to lead you into a purchase that you won't like at all.

I mean i literally fell in love with the 701s when i first heard them because of their ability to resolve high freq. sounds ( i can hear up to about 23khz so this coupled with 24/96 recordings was a bless for me), but you still might find them underpowered in the bass, and try to compensate this by adding more "oomph" to your mixes even where it isn't needed..

Well as far as the interfaces go, i'd personally go with the mtrack because m-audio gear never disappointed me, while i've never had any experiences with lexicons and the other brand. What's more, the lexicon really seems like it's a very old model, so i wouldn't count on many driver updates in the future. The m-audio on the other hand is completely new, and you wouldn't have to take that risk.
    For power output i think you'll be in the clear no matter what interface you choose, since they're all designed eith project studios and high impedence cans in mind
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Tech Mentor

Hello Im not a big fan au audio technica.
    I got beyer dynamic dt880pro two month ago im happy with them. I make the starting sound design with my krk rokit and then finish with my dt and make the mix with them, they are pretty good and have a really go mid high response and not the default that dt 770 and 990 got, a little little hole around 80 hz.
    Last edited by lapinfuu; 06-04-2013 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    Great choice!
    Still, isn't there a way for you to get to try out both cans or at least one pair? Because i din't want to lead you into a purchase that you won't like at all.

I mean i literally fell in love with the 701s when i first heard them because of their ability to resolve high freq. sounds ( i can hear up to about 23khz so this coupled with 24/96 recordings was a bless for me), but you still might find them underpowered in the bass, and try to compensate this by adding more "oomph" to your mixes even where it isn't needed..

Well as far as the interfaces go, i'd personally go with the mtrack because m-audio gear never disappointed me, while i've never had any experiences with lexicons and the other brand. What's more, the lexicon really seems like it's a very old model, so i wouldn't count on many driver updates in the future. The m-audio on the other hand is completely new, and you wouldn't have to take that risk.
    For power output i think you'll be in the clear no matter what interface you choose, since they're all designed eith project studios and high impedence cans in mind
    either way, I need the flattest and widest sound possible, and for my budget, this appears to be the best I can afford.. if the bass is too low then I'll have to compensate for it, but the rest of the sounds should ideally fall into place with a good set of cans like these, so I'm not too worried!
    "We think too much and feel too little"
    K B R I D G E

Quote Originally Posted by kbridge View Post
    either way, I need the flattest and widest sound possible, and for my budget, this appears to be the best I can afford.. if the bass is too low then I'll have to compensate for it, but the rest of the sounds should ideally fall into place with a good set of cans like these, so I'm not too worried!
    Well you know what? Try heading over to headfi and asking a couple questions there, it's a lively little community and they will tell you with absolute certainty everything you need

And really, try searching for a place where you can take a listen to a pair yourself, because words can only describe sound to a certain extent, you have to hear it yourself to judge it
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Tech Mentor

And finally you can have to better headphone on the planet the important thing is to know them. At this price there is no flat headphone and i dont know if really flat headphone exists tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by lapinfuu View Post
    And finally you can have to better headphone on the planet the important thing is to know them. At this price there is no flat headphone and i dont know if really flat headphone exists tbh.
    The 701s score far above many cans that cost over 2000$, for that matter, at least in terms of soundstage dimensions and detail resolving abilities.
    They're by far the flattest cans in this category.

Even if you go up in price to something like the LCD2/3, T1, hd800, or even stax stuff and senn he-90, you won't have guaranteed flatness. Especially in the very highly priced electrostats (the 800 is actually darn flat)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123