Tracks with Multiple BPMs - Suggestions?
    Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Default Tracks with Multiple BPMs - Suggestions?

So I have a couple of tracks which transition between Drum & Bass and Electro and then back again, such as Vandals by Dirtyphonics (which is about 174.7BPM on the DnB side of things and then 131.4BPM on the Electro bit).

I've gone and set beatgrid markers at the different points, however Traktor won't let me set two different BPMs within the same song (or at least I can't seem to figure out how to do it), any suggestions as a workaround for this?

Thanks in advance.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Tech Mentor

If your not mixing in the middle of the tracks couldnt you just beat grid the start and end of the track, and not worry about the tempo change?

Ah, see that's the catch, I want to use it as a transition point between Electro and DnB or vice versa.
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Beatgrid the BPM of the middle bit so you know what it is, then add it to the comment in the ID3 tags of the MP3 for reference. Then you can manaully set the other deck to that BPM and mix by ear, knowing the pitch of both songs will be the same.
    I blog at: Digital DJ Tips and I'm on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook

create a copy of the track and beat grid one with the low bpm and the 2nd with the high and then mix from one to the other when you are djing? You might have the edit the name of the copy track for this to work

i would splice those tracks into 2 different tracks.

if you want to use it as a tempo transition its easy, and if you dont want to - well you get the advantage of more cue points per track. pretty god damned usefull

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    Actually liking the idea of the just having the track twice, each with a different BPM...
    And yay for more cue points!

Tech Convert

There's nothing wrong with manual beatmatching with the decks.

Quote Originally Posted by plastisol7 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with manual beatmatching with the decks.
    noppe, that doesnt work much. see, the electro bit, is usualy way too short to have time to switch properly, and worse, the electro is usualy constantly speeding up to make nice breakdown effect into DnB

i actualy like Phil Morse idea the best. its simplest.
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Yeah I used Phil Morse's idea on a few tracks like this, it works pretty well.