Recording and saving with the F1

Default Recording and saving with the F1

Hey all, I just got the F1 controller. My Question is how to I record and save my own loops on the fly. OR anyway for that matter. Hope someone can help. Thanks!

I'm also wondering this... The loop recorder doesn't seem to do anything
    Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    Check out what paris hilton is doing. You can learn a few things from her. She just started out as well....

watch the NI F1 tutorials.. i'm pretty sure it's in there..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Did you try clicking the record button? What's your setup?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Let's say you have a track playing in deck A and your F1 is controlling D.

Hit the "Capture" button on your F1, then use the knob to select "A" to capture, then use the knob to set the loop length you want to capture (4, 8, 16, 32...).

After that, while the capture button is flashing hit one of the 16 pads and it'll capture a "*" bar loop to that slot.

I find myself doing it all the time while listening to my choons now. Leave the capture button flashing and grab a 16 bar somewhere in the intro somewhere where it's clean, wait for a buildup and then a drop, count off 16 bars and hit another pad (right at the drop you'll probably have a big cymbal crash that you won't want in your loop, so wait 16 bars). Now you've got the intro and the chorus. Repeat at intervals of 16 bars if anything interesting is added (or subtracted). Now grab a clean 16 bar breakdown\outro loop.

Bam, now you've got a remix set with all of the key components of your choon. Line them up in one column and try some loops in the other slots until you find something that sounds good. You have now created everything you need to remix a track on the fly as you see fit.

Does that automatically save them? Or is there something we need to do?

Quote Originally Posted by SparkDogg View Post
    Let's say you have a track playing in deck A and your F1 is controlling D.

Hit the "Capture" button on your F1, then use the knob to select "A" to capture, then use the knob to set the loop length you want to capture (4, 8, 16, 32...).

After that, while the capture button is flashing hit one of the 16 pads and it'll capture a "*" bar loop to that slot.

I find myself doing it all the time while listening to my choons now. Leave the capture button flashing and grab a 16 bar somewhere in the intro somewhere where it's clean, wait for a buildup and then a drop, count off 16 bars and hit another pad (right at the drop you'll probably have a big cymbal crash that you won't want in your loop, so wait 16 bars). Now you've got the intro and the chorus. Repeat at intervals of 16 bars if anything interesting is added (or subtracted). Now grab a clean 16 bar breakdown\outro loop.

Bam, now you've got a remix set with all of the key components of your choon. Line them up in one column and try some loops in the other slots until you find something that sounds good. You have now created everything you need to remix a track on the fly as you see fit.

Tech Mentor

there is a setting in preferences to auto-save the deck each time something changes

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DJ SCOTTY FATS View Post
    Does that automatically save them? Or is there something we need to do?
    Yeah, when you have it in that capture mode, every time you save a sample to a pad it saves it in your samples directory. Basically a "remix set" is a bunch of samples (which reside in the samples directory), and then the set itself, which is kind of a like a container\pointer to the samples. I guess it could be likened to a crate or playlist of samples.

Here's an example of it:
    1: Let's say I load "Show me Love" in deck A, and have a "New Remix Set" up on B, which my F1 is set to control.
    2: I play through A and capture 16 samples of Show me Love into my remix set.
    3: I click "Save Remix Set", and name it something intuitive (Show Me Love Remix Set or something).

What I wind up with from doing that is a "Show Me Love Remix Set" with all of the samples in the slots I captured them to, as well as 16 samples from Show Me Love in my samples directory. These samples can be used in as many other remix sets as you like as well.
    Last edited by SparkDogg; 07-23-2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Double Quoted

Where do you click to save it?

Quote Originally Posted by SparkDogg View Post
    Yeah, when you have it in that capture mode, every time you save a sample to a pad it saves it in your samples directory. Basically a "remix set" is a bunch of samples (which reside in the samples directory), and then the set itself, which is kind of a like a container\pointer to the samples. I guess it could be likened to a crate or playlist of samples.

Here's an example of it:
    1: Let's say I load "Show me Love" in deck A, and have a "New Remix Set" up on B, which my F1 is set to control.
    2: I play through A and capture 16 samples of Show me Love into my remix set.
    3: I click "Save Remix Set", and name it something intuitive (Show Me Love Remix Set or something).

What I wind up with from doing that is a "Show Me Love Remix Set" with all of the samples in the slots I captured them to, as well as 16 samples from Show Me Love in my samples directory. These samples can be used in as many other remix sets as you like as well.