First set of TTs. Anyone who has these like em?
    Tech Mentor

Default First set of TTs. Anyone who has these like em?

I simply don't have the money to fork over for a set of 1200s at the moment, and I'd like to go fully DVS. I'm running Traktor Scratch Duo 2 with CDJs and while it's fun, I'd like to get some experience with TTs. I'm looking at the Audio Technica ATLP120

Amazon.com: Audio Technica ATLP120 Professional Turntable: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411H60T2u%2BL.@@AMEPARAM@@411H60T2u%2BL

Trust me, if people on Craigslist weren't selling their Techs for $500+ (a piece), I'd be looking at getting a deal. But what do you think of the ATLP120?
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Tech Mentor

Never used them but I've heard they are solid. Another great entry level turntable is the Numark TT-500. Same motors that are used in the TTX's, but without the flashy electronic display. Very reliable units, and can be found pretty commonly for under $300 a pair.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    Never used them but I've heard they are solid. Another great entry level turntable is the Numark TT-500. Same motors that are used in the TTX's, but without the flashy electronic display. Very reliable units, and can be found pretty commonly for under $300 a pair.
    If the TT-500's are "entry level" then what is, in your opinion, a pro deck?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Daddykins View Post
    If the TT-500's are "entry level" then what is, in your opinion, a pro deck?
    My bad. They aren't really entry level quality decks - they're just at an entry level price.

All the super OEM decks are pretty good from what I understand. They're all based of the tech 12's so you shouldn't have much of a problem if it's just for light use (i.e. not daily club use).

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sunshine View Post
    I simply don't have the money to fork over for a set of 1200s at the moment, and I'd like to go fully DVS. I'm running Traktor Scratch Duo 2 with CDJs and while it's fun, I'd like to get some experience with TTs. I'm looking at the Audio Technica ATLP120

Trust me, if people on Craigslist weren't selling their Techs for $500+ (a piece), I'd be looking at getting a deal. But what do you think of the ATLP120?
    i want to add that vinyl records will cost you anywhere $15-25usd just for one track. vinyl records can expire/be reduced in sound quality after 200-800 plays (this depends on the needle/stylus used & how old/used/abused the record you purchased is). The needle(stylus) will expire after 500-3k spins. vinyl records when stored, must be kept 98% standing str8 up other wise they can become "warped". They shouldn't be squeezed with other records but remember they have to stand up str8 when stored.(to make this clear, your vinyl records SHOULD-not be leaning, they must stand up str8) for more info on records being warp just youtube "vinyl record warped". Vinyl records can be ruined due to improper climate storage. too hot/humid/moisture creates mold. or cold weather can cause a freeze burn. the stylus(needle) needs to be cleaned after the end of your dj practice session with a brush to remove the dust(read directions on how to properly use a brush. you dont brush it anyway you want/dont assume that this is common sense, there is a reason why the booklet of your stylus has the proper way to brush the stylus(needle)). sometimes the stylus plastic part(what holds the needle/stylus) can pick up debris,*if you have the plastic part touching the record grooves. you must be able to spot this(debris color is black) and remove it at the end of your dj practice session. I remove the debris with my finger tip nail, while being careful not to touch the stylus(needle). this is the plastic piece that holds the stylus(needle). old debris can slowly damage/wear your records. a much more thorough clean once every 1-3 months on the stylus is a must, the brush removes dust only. the stylus(needle) accumulates debris on the stylus overtime, not in a day or four days, but in a month to three, depending how often you practice. this should be cleaned every 1-3 months, not after every time you use the stylus/cartridge. before purchasing TT's you should learn in advance what type of needles you want to buy, depending on the needles as i mentioned before is related to how fast your vinyl records will get worn out. You should do a research on the difference between elliptical -vs- spherical stylus. If you live in a apartment building made of wood, you should learn about the insects called "silverfish" and do a research on the effects they have on ruining your vinyl records etc and also type this bug name in google images to take a look @ it and see if you remember seeing this bug in your apt/room, i have it in my room!!!. As your learning about stylus and vinyl record care, in your mind, the idea of having a "magnifier" should be dreamed or thought of in order to get a good look on the status of your stylus(needle) or the grooves on your vinyl records. I'm not trying to scare you, i want you to be aware of vinyl care.

i mentioned a lot of things that you can google search. so a lot of keywords for you to google and learn more of. i hope you found this helpful since it took me 20min to type and think.
    2x numark TT's, djm350, and vinyls/records and that's all i use man.

Tech Mentor

@cutflow: Serously, dude. Again with the paragraphs...or lack thereof. And 20 minutes to cut'n'paste from the other thread?

@DJ Sunshine: To be absolutely convinced, you'll probably need to get one of these and a 1200 side-by-side for a test. I wouldn't discount it based on the numbers (higher wow & flutter that 1200s, but that doesn't seem to be evident in use on my Stantons). Might be worth having a look at these, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6rTNZouTOE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9lHkYqBDWg

Tech Mentor

ive tested some, and it would be a great tale to have. im looking at getting some so i can have a "like technics" setup without the bite in my college raped wallet. its actually affordable, and they play well from in store tests ive tried!

Quote Originally Posted by cutflow View Post
    The needle(stylus) will expire after 500-3k spins.
    So you're saying you have to replace needles after a max of 91 minutes of playing? (3000/33.3=90.09)

.....Thats a lie.

Edit: Even more amusing: 500/45=11.1! Play 3 tracks and its time to replace your stylus!!
    Last edited by DJ SB; 04-26-2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: To amuse myself even more

Quote Originally Posted by DJ SB View Post
    So you're saying you have to replace needles after a max of 91 minutes of playing? (3000/33.3=90.09)

.....Thats a lie.
    Maybe spins = tracks?
    Gear: late 2011 13" i7 256GB Macbook Air, Numark NS7, 2x Technics SL-1200MK2, Dateq XTC, 2x M-Audio CX8
    Check my Souncloud for livesets: http://soundcloud.com/dj-subliminal