Hightower's setup
    Tech Wizard

Default Hightower's setup

So I finally got the time to make this post (I'd thoght i would give it a go even though my setup history is not that much). I have been lurking around on the forums for some time, but I thought it was time to make a post. Sorry if there are some grammar mistakes, English is not my first language.

My current setup:
    Dj gear:
    Numark 4trak
    Native Instruments Kontrol X1
    Traktor 2.6
    Macbook

Sound & Lights
    Aletc Lansing iMT800
    IKEA LED Bar
    2x Laling lv200b single purple lasers
    (BILDE x6)

History:

December 2010 – january 2011
    I started getting interested in dj'ing about two years ago when a friend showed me traktor in class one day. I got more and more into EDM and spent more and more time messing around with traktor.

July 2011
    After about six moths I got around to buying a controller. I felt limited with just the mouse and keyboard and ended up buying a Numark Mixtrack Pro, a great controller for beginners. I used my Altec lansing boombox as a main out and my Beats Sutdio headset for cueing.

The Mixtrack pro is pretty basic, and after three-four months I managed to get a Novation Launchpad and a Native Intsruments Kontrol X1 for free. I was originally planning to run the Mixtrack and the Kontrol X1 with traktor and the launchpad with Ableton synced up with traktor, but I never got it to work properly and my 2GB ram Macbook couldn't handle both softwares with low latency. I kinda blame myself for not having/taking the time to not learning ableton very well. I ended up using the launchpad with traktor using a midifighter mapping.

March2012
    Until this point I had had my gear on my dresser witch was forcing me to bend down while dj'ing. But after seeing the IKEA Dj booth post I decided to make one myself. I figured out that I only needed and only had room for a smaller design than the post showed I went to IKEA and bought the parts.

I was really happy with the result, the hight was perfect and the size. The only thing that I messed up was the top shelf. It was too wide and didn't fit in the space I needed, but I found an old shelf that wasn't the same color, but it was a perfect fit.

I also bought a new pair of headphones because I had been using my Beats studio headphones, witch was not the best dj-headphones. I bought a pair of Pioneer HDJ 500's. I have been very happy with them, the sound good and they are comfortable to wear.

I also got two purple lasers for free and a fog machine from a friend who wasn't using it anymore.

June 2012
    After a year with the Mixtrack pro I decided to upgrade. I wanted a 4 channel traktor controller but I couldn't make my mind up if I wanted the Native Instruments kontrol s4, the Pioneer DDJ-T1 or the Numark 4trak. I spent a lot of time reading reviews, watching videos and testing them out at my local music store.

After some time I made up my mind on the numark 4trak. I sold my Mixtrack pro and my Launchpad for 250 $, then I got 500 $ sponsored, so I ended up paying 300 $ out of pocket for my Numark 4trak.

I feel like I have a good dj setup for now, but I'm thinking about upgrading my sound system and maybe buy some more lights. I'm thinking about buying some studio monitors like the rockit 5, and some more lights like a jellyfish or some cool led lights.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
    Norwegian bedroom DJ - Numark 4trak - NI Kontrol X1- Pioneer HDJ500 - Traktor 2.6 - Macbook

Tech Convert

that numark looks damn good

but i would prefer the S4
    MASCHINE
    Xone 22 | X1 | Audio 6DJ
    | S2 |
    TMA-1

Tech Convert

Good looking set up! If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage to get all that free gear?

Tech Mentor

So lucky getting all that gear for free!
    Numark mixtrack - Numark DJ IO Sound card - Akai lpd8 - Traktor pro 2 - Senheiser HD205

FINALLY someone with the sense to get a 4trak over a bubble gum and string built s4! good call as it IS the best controller out there (for traktor) even though its a numark. The ONLY disadvantage this controller has is the sound card, which is actually excellent in its own right, just isn't scratch certified. however, that is NI's doing, not numark.

anyway, have fun...you can beat the crap out of it...and it will last. It also functions great as a space hogging 1000$ USB interface which is its primary function for me now since ive moved more or less into the production side of things.
    MacPro 8 core 16GB • 22" Cinema HD • 17" MacBook PRO 4GB • 2x Technics 1200 mk2 • 2x Eurolite flight cases • Numark 4TRAK • Vestax PMC-07 Pro • NI Traktor Kontrol F1 • NI Traktor Pro 2.6 • Ableton 9 Suite • Akai MPK49 • MDR-V700DJ hps • AIAIAI TMA-1 Studio hps • 2x KRK Rokit6 monitors G2 • 2x JBL LSR4328P professional monitors • Arturia MINILAB • Focusrite Saffire PRO14 • Blue SPARK mic • MASCHINE 2 with 2.2 • 1 mill-e-on VSTs

The Numark looks lovely!

great setup!! I love the purple lasers
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Tech Wizard

Default Replies and another picture!

Quote Originally Posted by djafray View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage to get all that free gear?
    I don't mind you asking, the gear was acquired 100% legally so i have no problem telling you how! :P
    I got the free gear from a foundation here in Norway. The foundation get's financial support from the Norwegian Ministry of culture and the profits from the Norwegian lottery. The foundation gives out money to youths that need new gear for music, video production or theatre. All you have to do apply for the funds with a good reason (like needing a new controller) and then you get the money if they approve. You can get up to 1400 dollars, but you normaly get 5-700 dollars. You can get funds once a year, last year i got the launchpad and the X1, this year i got some of the funds for the 4TRAK and i might get a pair of studio monitors next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Toban View Post
    but i would prefer the S4
    I was planning to buy the S4, but I thought that the pitch faders were too short and louse and I really liked the platters and the extra buttons on the 4Trak.

Adding a photo i took after setting up for a gig a qouple of weeks ago! Played back2back with a friend using a Numark mixtrack pro and a pair of HDJ 2000's. We set it up so the Mixtrack pro went through the 4th channel on my 4Trak. Used my 4Trak, X1, the fog machine and my purple lasers. There also were an Allen and heath mixer there that came with the rented PA system, but we didn't use it.

Norwegian bedroom DJ - Numark 4trak - NI Kontrol X1- Pioneer HDJ500 - Traktor 2.6 - Macbook

You use that fog machine often ? Pretty sure smoke is real bad for electronics.

And it's pretty amazing you got all that gear for free. OP's either a lucky guy or a burglar.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MyUsername View Post
    You use that fog machine often ?
    I don't use it much, only on gigs to get a better effect with the lasers. I don't normally use it at home.

Quote Originally Posted by MyUsername View Post
    OP's either a lucky guy or a burglar.
    Only lucky, would be hard to walk out of a store with a 4trak! :P If you read my last post you will se how i got the free gear!