Ever sold your music?
    Tech Mentor

Default Ever sold your music?

An insurance company has asked me to produce a modern (albeit no electronic) little ditty for some of their internet instructional videos. I have no idea what to charge. It's basically an instructional video for some fitness equipment.

Truth of the matter is, I already made the jam, and it took me maybe an hour. I'm just not sure how to charge for it. I was going to keep it basic, say, $150/hr. Then I find production houses online that charge in the ball park of $150-300 PER USE. So.....obviously I'm not sure how to approach this. I'm not John friggin Williams, so I can't expect to be paid racks on racks, but I also don't want to devalue my stuff.

Any advice out there?

awesome how did you get that oportunity?

Quote Originally Posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
    An insurance company has asked me to produce a modern (albeit no electronic) little ditty for some of their internet instructional videos. I have no idea what to charge. It's basically an instructional video for some fitness equipment.

Truth of the matter is, I already made the jam, and it took me maybe an hour. I'm just not sure how to charge for it. I was going to keep it basic, say, $150/hr. Then I find production houses online that charge in the ball park of $150-300 PER USE. So.....obviously I'm not sure how to approach this. I'm not John friggin Williams, so I can't expect to be paid racks on racks, but I also don't want to devalue my stuff.

Any advice out there?
    Join ASCAP. If you get an individual to represent you as well, he or she might help finess the money issue with clients.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy View Post
    awesome how did you get that oportunity?
    I'm shooting the vid(s) as well, and happen to produce and DJ, lol. You guys were the first people I thought to contact, haha.