no point in upgrading my laptop?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default no point in upgrading my laptop?

occasionally i'll look around at new laptops, thinking about upgrading at some point in future.

now spec wise i'm running 2GB ram, 2Ghz single core processor - the only 2 things i'm using as a basis for comparison. as it'll bought mainly from the view of traktor usage so graphics cards aren't a big deal and i'll be using my dj io for sound anyway. saying that the processor is the bigger one, if it wa about ram a couple of 2GB cards to wang in my laptop would be cheaper

things i've seen thus far are no bigger than 2.6 Ghz dual core and range from 2-4 GB ram. so not a huge* difference from my current machine. with the difference of being dual cores. this includes macs - just remember this is a straight up spec comparison if you want to turn this into mac vs pc then piss off to this thread

the thought i've had is this;
    assuming i'm right in thinking that 2Ghz dual would be 2x1Ghz linked up and main difference being that it can process two things simultaneously
    as my traktor boot is stripped back and only runs traktor (no explorer shell or anything), is there any point in dual core? wouldn't the end result be the same? just 2 processors dealing with traktor instead of 1? or be like two '2 decks' versions running on a 1Ghz processor each? again can't see a benefit over what i currently have

admittedly jumping from 2 to 2.6Ghz will make a change, but right now my current machine runs fine and smooth. and i hardly touch 75% of my ram at peak usuage so no need to upgrade that.

*by not huge i mean not enough to make me run to pcworld and spunk money all over a new laptop, plus a ram upgrade is cheaper from that point of view
    Last edited by BradCee; 06-22-2010 at 08:01 AM.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Dude...if it works.....why fix it?

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

i like to spend money... bad habit

SoundCloud

GAS bruv......we all got it!

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"

GAS? been eating beans?

SoundCloud

Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

AAAaaaah.....!

yeah, lol. also been window shopping on decks.co.uk aswell, don't even know what i'm looking for...

until i find it

tbh i've become unsure of the original point of my post now, other than it amazed me that my £300 2 year old acer laptop appears to out perform (on paper) some of the 'performance' machines you can but for twice the cost now.

SoundCloud

If it's just for Traktor, what does your current CPU meter say when your hard core mixing (and broadcasting too if it adds to the meter)? If it is sitting comfortably low on the meter, your just wasting money, IMO.

GAS is another issue all together, being a serious addict I can sympathize...

Maschine is still high on my radar!

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    If it's just for Traktor, what does your current CPU meter say when your hard core mixing (and broadcasting too if it adds to the meter)? If it is sitting comfortably low on the meter, your just wasting money, IMO.
    since hoovering out my fan it doesn't move... still like to have a look about though, one day i'll find something that actually warrants spending out on an upgrade, or my laptop will die and force the issue, lol.

this is the current one, changed ram and os though

SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    the thought i've had is this;
    assuming i'm right in thinking that 2Ghz dual would be 2x1Ghz linked up
    That's the wrong assumption. 2Ghz dual core (such as E6400 by intel) means the processor has 2x2Ghz cores.. So that's like 4 Ghz processing speed. But it's not comparable to a single core computer you know, because the task is split into 2 not handled by 1 super fast one..
    So rethink this thread..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast