Rare Drums in My Happy Ending - Avril Lavigne

Question Rare Drums in My Happy Ending - Avril Lavigne

Short introduction:
    Hi, I'm an amateur music producer and I'm new here. I was googling for the right forum to ask this, and then I came here .

As to the reason I'm making this thread, there's this song, My Happy Ending from Avril Lavigne. It is a rock song but it has a few parts where it doesn't use a drumkit that sounds like a "real" one. I'm not sure if they either put some filters and reverb on the real drumkit in those parts or that they made the whole thing in FL Studio (or any other music producing program).

Here's a video containing the Drums Master Track of the song:

On 0:07-0:13 and 0:25-1:00, you can hear the rare drums. On 1:33-2:07, you can hear both the real drumkit and rare drumkit.

I was hoping you guys may be able to explain me what they did here, to make the drums sound like this, as I really like the sound of it and I'd like to be able to recreate something like this myself.

Thanks in advance.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Could be both honestly. It sounds like they cranked the shit out of a filter + flanger, and killed the sample decay to make them super short. The latter is why it contrasts so much with the "real" drums, specially with the open HH.

Last edited by padi_04; 02-07-2018 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Could be both honestly. It sounds like they cranked the shit out of a filter + flanger, and killed the sample decay to make them super short. The latter is why it contrasts so much with the "real" drums, specially with the open HH.
    Mm, yea.

I still wouldn't know how to recreate this effect in FL Studio though. :#

Tech Convert

Used to be one of my favorite songs. didn't listen to it for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Flashbread View Post
    Mm, yea.

I still wouldn't know how to recreate this effect in FL Studio though. :#
    You can recreate this effect by adding a resonant filter filter, by choosing your target frequency and by changing the frequency over tine..

Depending on your DAW you can find some filter that can do the job. BUT if you don't have such filters, you can achieve the same result by using a parametric equalizer. Here's how:

- Apply a parametric equalizer on you drums track
    - Choose a frequency (for example 1000Hz)
    - Boost the Q factor to the maximum
    - add 12 db (or something that change enough the timbre of the drums without distorting it)

While playing the track, move the frequency (from 1000 hz to 300hz, then to 4000hz), now you are hearing the effect on the video).

You can adjust the sound by better choosing the frequencies, the boost and the Q factors..