Anybody moved from MobileMe to iCloud..?
    DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Default Anybody moved from MobileMe to iCloud..?

Anybody moved from MobileMe Mail to iCloud and how did it go.
    I use MacMail a LOT and i have a lot of Smart Mail Boxes plus a lot of Mail Boxes containing emails and correspondance for my business.

Pretty dubious about iCloud for personal data regarding my business accounts.

- Can you still use MacMail on your Mac?
    - Or does MacMail go completely in the Cloud?
    - Do all your Smart and Mail boxes survive intact?
    - If iCloud is down (?) can i still access my MacMail (i think the answer is yes to this).
    - Would you trust your business accounts in the iCloud?

I have Office 2008 on my Mac but this does not include Outlook. Entourage is a terrible email client.

So im thinking of buying Outlook but that means rebuying Office for Mac and maybe getting rid of my Me.com email address which i dont want to do.
    I believe i can keep my me.com address regardless.

I have till June 2012 to make the move but i wanna decide yes or no now.

Ta.
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 10-17-2011 at 07:24 AM.

I've not tried. Generally packages like that suck for me as I only need one small piece. (I should use the iPhone locating service though). I must ask though, why would you buy Outlook? Does it offer anything that the free alternatives (Mail, Thunderbird) don't?

My setup:

Mail: gmail/Yahoo (I like Gmail better. Yahoo doesn't have sub-folders [facepalm]). Can check it anywhere, and pay a bit more for POP access if you want. I use fastmail.fm for business email (IMAP).

Long Term storage: Crash Plan+. I can't just access it from anywhere (need their client, but runs for the 3 major OS's) but you can backup unlimited data. I think I pay $150 a year for up to 10 computers. Already 500GB backed up. Music collection is about 50GB. 40GB of WAV and 10GB of Mp3.

Short Term: If I want to share larger files w/ friends, or between work and home, I just use Dropbox for free.

Tech Mentor

I flipped mine over from mobile me to iCloud without even thinking about it.

There was a couple of times on day one when email coverage seemed "flakey", but now it works exactly the same as it did before.
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

Tech Mentor

just re-reading Karlos's original post.

Yes, you can still use MacMail. ....nothing changes there. It's all exactly the same, so no need for Outlook or anything else.

I've only got a couple of smart mial boxes set up, & they haven't changed.

As far as I can see, the only thing that's changed is the name.
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

The Mobileme to iCloud transition is seemless. Everything moves over perfectly (including any mail aliases you had set up). In terms of using the mail app, it's exactly the same as before - local copies with everything on the iCloud servers - it's just regular IMAP.

I've moved a family account over without a hitch, and other than saying iCloud rather than Mobileme, it feels just the same as before.

And yes, your Mobileme address stays, and is free for 5Gb of iCloud storage.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I tried forwarding my gmail to my me address yesterday, but couldn't get the mail or calendar apps to recognize it so I went back to just using Google.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skratchworx View Post
    The Mobileme to iCloud transition is seemless. Everything moves over perfectly (including any mail aliases you had set up). In terms of using the mail app, it's exactly the same as before - local copies with everything on the iCloud servers - it's just regular IMAP.

I've moved a family account over without a hitch, and other than saying iCloud rather than Mobileme, it feels just the same as before.

And yes, your Mobileme address stays, and is free for 5Gb of iCloud storage.
    Exactly what i wanted to hear. Will make the move today.

iCloud here i come.

I DID, I KINDA LIKE IT, BUT I WISH THEY SYNCED THE PICS TOO

woops, sorry for the caps
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.