The right way to harmonic DJing with key, energy and BPM?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default The right way to harmonic DJing with key, energy and BPM?

Hi,

I'm Djing for about 2 years now, most of the time in small Clubs. Now I want to go more deeper into the harmonic mixing thing.

I created a new playlist, how do I arrange the tracks now, only after key and energy level or does the bpm count as well, in which order do I put the tracks?

Does the DJ Set has to be a curve?

Or a straight line to build up?

Thanks in advance

If you want what I do is normally just grab a a track I think will start well variables taken into account... However I do not take key into account then I'll mix up and down the keys energy I do not pay much attention to as I kinda preview each track before I start mixing it in to gauge if it will convey the feeling I require... Check out any of my mixcloud posts everything's always in key and what not

Tech Wizard

I have smart playlists and right now key lock is on in Traktor, should I put it off?
    How do I arrange my tracks now with key and energy level?

When it comes to harmonic mixing it's very easy to let it dictate exactly what you play and when you play, I find it and can make putting together a set a very rigid process. That said I have struck a balance in my workflow that lets me mix harmonically and gives me freedom to play what I want when I want. I start by selecting some tracks I know I want to play and from getting a "feel" of the tracks I will know where I should place them in the playlist. THEN I look at the key and have a dig through my collection to see what tracks I can use to fill the gaps, before long I have built a path of tracks that go through varying energy levels or continuously build throughout - depends on what I want to do. As for BPM I don't worry about it too much but use +4/-4 as a general rule of thumb, so if I'm playing a track at say 124 BPM I would only select a track to follow it that's in the 120-128bpm region. For me mixing harmonically does sound better and can be used correctly to get some amazing effects, have fun with experimenting and before you know it that Camelot wheel will be burned into your memory!

Tech Wizard

Thanks man, so first of all, I select a random track that I like to start my set and than I let the camalot wheel choose the upcoming tracks?

Should I put key lock in traktor on or off?

you want keylock on so you can vary the tempo, i.e: sync them up, and keep the tracks at their original keys (tho u can also use the pitch fader to alter a tracks key and then lock to that new key) ive only recently started mixing in key and sometimes the track you really want to mix to just won't key-match so just mix old school making sure you dont have vocals or melodies clashing. it can sound great mixing in key but it should totally dictate what track you play next...

edit: meant to write it "shouldnt" dictate ofc
    Last edited by zestoi; 08-07-2015 at 11:55 PM.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Moved.

Also, ummm this isn't particle physics mate, if the next track sounds good mixing in, then use it.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Moved.

Also, ummm this isn't particle physics mate, if the next track sounds good mixing in, then use it.
    '
    Thank you.

I agree with the above statement but I'm thinking he's maybe not from much of a musical background.... It's like some people at great and picking really awesome tracks but shit the bed till it's running off the balcony when it comes to putting together in a coherent way.....

Also I have to keep in mind he's only been mixing for two years not 15+ so he might not be at the point where he can 100% trust his judgement on next track especially if he's only had a solid foundation for 6-12months

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast