Mixes too quiet after export

Default Mixes too quiet after export

Hey people,

always when I record my mix inside of Serato, I move the .aif file to Adobe Audition and check the levels - here it seems to be ok, around -3 to -1db. However when I then export to mp3 and upload to Mixcloud for example, it's way to quiet...

https://www.mixcloud.com/Dj-majk/hdm...ng-party-2017/

How would I fix this ? Just try to record at a higher level ? Wouldn't that make it distorted then ?

Please don't record it louder, that will only make things harder. Record it as normal, then try to add some gain later. Remember: You can always add little on the top later if needed, but you can never get rid of clipping and distortion.

That all being said, your levels seemed fine when I skipped around the mix.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Probably at mixcloud's end. They reencode the mix for their player.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

If you have just one tune with a higher gain than the rest, mixclouds re-encoding will use that as a baseline when normalizing the mix. Keep this in mind.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

perfect, thanks guys!

Lot of good info here.

Default fine

Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post
    Hey people,

always when I record my mix inside of Serato, I move the .aif file to Adobe Audition and check the levels - here it seems to be ok, around -3 to -1db. However when I then export to mp3 and upload to Mixcloud for example, it's way to quiet...

https://www.mixcloud.com/Dj-majk/hdm...ng-party-2017/

How would I fix this ? Just try to record at a higher level ? Wouldn't that make it distorted then ?

listened on my laptop with a pair of Sony consumer over ears and the levels sound fine. Not too quiet at all..