DJM-900SRT Auto BPM problem

Default DJM-900SRT Auto BPM problem

Posted this on the PioneerDJ forums but I thought maybe someone here could help:

I have a problem with my DJM-900SRT's auto BPM detect.

I have my DJM connected to my Windows desktop via USB. I use it as an external soundcard. Audio is through the RCA outs into my speakers. All drivers are installed, firmware is the latest version.

Through USB, the mixer uses channel 1 (Deck 3) to transmit audio.

I noticed that with my effects channel selector set to 1, it fails to detect the BPM of whatever music is playing. If I do a quick switch of the channel input selector to Phono then back to USB, it displays the detected BPM.

Similarly, if I turn the effects channel selector to MIC then back to 4, 3, 2 or 1, it displays the detected BPM. If I turn the effects from 1 to MASTER it also displays the detected BPM.

However, if I leave my effects selector at MASTER the BPM auto detect works fine.

I have tried the CD/LINE inputs on each channel and the BPM auto detect works fine as it is. I can leave the effects channel selector on whatever channel audio input is coming to and auto BPM detect works fine.

Funnily enough, there was no such issue when I just got it (some 3 weeks ago). I only noticed it happening earlier. The only changes I've made to the mixer and my desktop is that I updated the firmware from v1.00 to the latest and installed rekordbox on my desktop.

I have also tried connecting it through USB to another laptop -- same issue.

In Ableton Live, I have my audio tracks routed to channels 1, 2 and 3 on the DJM. When I play a track on channel 1 and have my effects knob on channel 1, auto BPM detect fails to work. If I have a track playing on channels 2 or 3 and I have the effects selector knob on 2 or 3, auto BPM detect works just fine.

This is peculiar -- why is it only affecting channel 1; USB input, specifically?

Can anyone please help? It's bugging me.

Does it fail to detect BPM completely or just displays the wrong value? Does your software sends MIDI clock via USB (you haven't specified which software you use: recordbox, ableton, traktor)? Are you trying to set it up that way or you just want the mixer to determine the BPM on it's own?
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Mentor

actually I've been also having this issue with the regular DJM900nexus at the club I work at. I use the auto bpm to send out midi clock data so my visuals & lights are in time to the music the DJ is playing. But sometimes it fails to detect the bpm, usually when someone is using the USB inputs. I've also had it fail to detect on CD/Line tho with a serato box hooked up. I messaged Pioneer about it, but yea, their customer support is really not that great

Quote Originally Posted by dsquareddan View Post
    actually I've been also having this issue with the regular DJM900nexus at the club I work at. I use the auto bpm to send out midi clock data so my visuals & lights are in time to the music the DJ is playing.
    Pioneer doesn't have V-Link or something similar?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    Pioneer doesn't have V-Link or something similar?
    No it does not.

I just use the MIDI Out port on the back of the DJM900 which sends out the clock data from the DJM900fx. If the DJ plays on Rekordbox & CDJ's and turns the quantize button on in the FX section, then the BPM data is exact from the Rekordbox analyzed file, so long as you are linked into the mixer as well as the CDJ's with an ethernet hub (the CDJ platters turn red when you bring the channel faders up & the play #'s are correct)

I have heard of problems with recieving midi clock data from traktor on the djm-900 but i assumed they corrected that in a firmware update

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by dsquareddan View Post
    The BPM data is exact from the Rekordbox analyzed file, so long as you are linked into the mixer as well as the CDJ's with an ethernet hub (the CDJ platters turn red when you bring the channel faders up & the play #'s are correct)
    I love this effect! It's so wicked making the platter flash with fades! Those guys that like to tweak the off air channel to pretend like they are doing something probably disable it LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    Does it fail to detect BPM completely or just displays the wrong value? Does your software sends MIDI clock via USB (you haven't specified which software you use: recordbox, ableton, traktor)? Are you trying to set it up that way or you just want the mixer to determine the BPM on it's own?
    It fails to detect the BPM. Or more accurately, it fails to display the detected BPM. The BPM just keeps flashing continuously in the display. It's only if I turn the channel selector (from USB to phono) that it displays the detected BPM. So this means it does actually detect the BPM, just not display it until I either turn the effects channel knob to MIC or CF A/B or MASTER.

I use Ableton, and I didn't configure it to receive or send any MIDI data.

I just want the DJM to detect the BPM of whatever audio is going through it. When I first got it it was doing this just fine -- it was detecting BPM from any audio source at all -- iTunes, YouTube, etc. I had the effects channel selector on channel 1, which outputs all audio if the DJM is used as an external soundcard. Then it suddenly just stopped working one day.

Now I have to leave the effects knob on the MASTER channel for auto BPM detection to work.

A little update to my opening post: now auto BPM detection doesn't even work anymore in ableton for channels 2, 3 and 4. It previously still detected BPM for audio coming from channels 2, 3 and 4 if I had the effects knob on whichever one of those channels, just not channel 1 -- now it just flashes a BPM value and doesn't actually display it until I turn the effects channel knob to MIC, CF A/B or MASTER.

Frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarium View Post
    I use Ableton, and I didn't configure it to receive or send any MIDI data.
    It may be sending MIDI data automatically.
    Consider this: when you set effects knob on master, DJM has to ignore midi bpm data sent for inputs so it displays the value it calculated on it's own by measuring the master output.
    It you have Traktor, try using it and sending bpm via midi to confirm DJM works properly.